Seville cancels famed Easter parades over coronavirus, again
MADRID (Reuters) - Seville on Tuesday cancelled its traditional Easter processions, calling off Spain's most spectacular Holy Week parades with three months' notice because of the coronavirus. With some 1.9 million registered infections and just over 50,000 deaths, Spain's pandemic has been one of Europe's worst
MADRID (Reuters) - Seville on Tuesday cancelled its traditional Easter processions, calling off Spain's most spectacular Holy Week parades with three months' notice because of the coronavirus.
With some 1.9 million registered infections and just over 50,000 deaths, Spain's pandemic has been one of Europe's worst. The country began vaccinating against the virus on Sunday and hopes to inoculate up to 20 million people by June.
But the Andalusian city's archbishop, Juan Jose Asenjo, said the predicted development of the disease meant that going ahead with the seven-day event starting next year in late March was too risky.
"The persistently high levels of the disease incidence, together with the outlook for vaccine distribution still advise in coming months ... against the concentration of large groups and their free circulation," he wrote on the archdiocese's website.
Tens of thousands of people usually attend Seville's parades, where centuries-old brotherhoods of the faithful carry heavy, flower-covered floats topped with effigies of Christ or the Virgin Mary, led by "Nazareno" penitents in distinctive pointy hoods.
Seville also cancelled this year's Easter processions for the same reason, but with much shorter notice on March 14, the day the country went into lockdown.
Holy Week in the Christian calendar starts on Palm Sunday, which commemorates Christ's entry into Jerusalem. The parades conclude a week later on the eve of Easter Sunday, which celebrates his resurrection.
(Reporting by Inti Landauro; editing by Andrei Khalip and John Stonestreet)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.