Senior Islamic State commander likely killed - U.S. official | Reuters
WASHINGTON A senior Islamic State commander was targeted and likely killed in a U.S. operation, a U.S
WASHINGTON A senior Islamic State commander was targeted and likely killed in a U.S. operation, a U.S. official told Reuters on Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity.
News of the operation comes just ahead of a Pentagon briefing scheduled for 10:45 a.m. (1445 GMT). Defense Secretary Ash Carter is expected to make the announcement at the briefing, according to U.S. media reports.
Abd ar-Rahman Mustafa al-Qaduli, the militant group's second-in-command, was killed in a raid in Syria on Thursday, Fox News reported.
The commander, who went by several aliases and was a senior religious leader within the militant group, is believed to have been killed in a U.S. air strike, U.S. media outlets said.
Carter is also expected to discuss the death of another top Islamic State leader, senior operative Abu Omar al-Shishani, in another recent strike, Fox News said.
A news agency that supports Islamic State has denied that al-Shishani, also known as the Chechen, had been killed or wounded.
(Reporting by Phil Stewart; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and James Dalgleish)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Three US Air Force C-5 Super Galaxies and one C-17 Globemaster were scheduled to leave for India on Monday to deliver critical supplies
COVID-19 pandemic: From flip-flops over cargo flights to jibes at US, here's how China has responded to crisis in India
New Delhi currently appears to be reacting cautiously to Beijing's offers for assistance to deal with the COVID-19 crisis
The authors urged the US administration to 'consider exceptions' to the Defense Production Act (DPA) of 1950, under which Washington has halted the export of raw materials