Saudi Arabia says this year's hajj will not be cancelled, 'very limited' number of people allowed to perform pilgrimage
Saudi Arabia said Monday that this year's hajj will not be cancelled, but that due to the coronavirus only 'very limited numbers' of people will be allowed to perform the major Muslim pilgrimage.
Dubai: Saudi Arabia said Monday that this year's hajj will not be cancelled, but that due to the coronavirus only "very limited numbers" of people will be allowed to perform the major Muslim pilgrimage.
The kingdom said that only people of various nationalities already residing in the country would be allowed to perform the hajj.
The government did not specify how many people would be permitted to take part.
The annual pilgrimage, which is set to begin this year at the end of July, traditionally draws around 2 million Muslims from around the world for five intense days of worship and rituals in Mecca.
Saudi Arabia has never canceled the hajj in the nearly 90 years since the nation's establishment.
It halted the minor umrah pilgrimage, which can be performed year-round, in February, as the coronavirus began spreading across the region.
The White House's comments came as the first consignment of the emergency medical supplies was brought to Delhi in a C-5M Super Galaxy aircraft
Nervous politicians and hospital administrators may be undercounting or overlooking large numbers of dead, analysts say
The International Judo Federation imposed a four-year ban after the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ordered a disciplinary review last month which said a previous indefinite ban was not allowed.