Saudi Arabia consults allies on oil attack, awaits result of investigation - official
By Michelle Nichols and Humeyra Pamuk UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia is in consultation 'with friends and allies about the next steps to take' after a Sept. 14 attack on its oil facilities, but is waiting for the findings of an investigation, Saudi Arabia's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel al-Jubeir told reporters on Wednesday. The United States, European powers and Saudi Arabia have blamed the attack on Iran, instead of the Yemeni Iran-aligned Houthi group that claimed responsibility.
By Michelle Nichols and Humeyra Pamuk
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia is in consultation "with friends and allies about the next steps to take" after a Sept. 14 attack on its oil facilities, but is waiting for the findings of an investigation, Saudi Arabia's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel al-Jubeir told reporters on Wednesday.
The United States, European powers and Saudi Arabia have blamed the attack on Iran, instead of the Yemeni Iran-aligned Houthi group that claimed responsibility. Iran distanced itself from the attacks, but said it was ready for "full-fledged" war.
"This cannot go unanswered, there has to be consequences for Iran for what they did," Jubeir told a United Against Nuclear Iran conference.
The attack on the heartland of Saudi Arabia's oil industry damaged the world's biggest petroleum-processing facility and knocked out more than 5% of global oil supply.
"The United Nations sent people to be part of the investigation, other countries have sent experts to be part of the investigation," Jubeir told reporters earlier on Wednesday on the sidelines of the annual gathering of world leaders at the United Nations.
"When the team that's investigating has concluded its investigations we will make the announcements publicly," he said.
U.N. experts monitoring Security Council sanctions on Iran and Yemen traveled to Saudi Arabia days after the attack. But their reports to the U.N. Security Council are not due until December and January respectively.
U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres reports twice a year to the Security Council on the implementation of an arms embargo on Iran and other restrictions that remained in place after Tehran agreed a nuclear deal with world powers in 2015.
A separate independent panel also reports twice a year to the U.N. Security Council on the implementation of sanctions related to the conflict in Yemen that were imposed in 2014 and 2015.
France also sent seven military experts to investigate this weekend's attacks on Saudi oil facilities, including specialists in explosives, missile trajectory and ground-to-air defence systems, a defence ministry spokeswoman has said.
(Reporting by Michelle Nichols and Humeyra Pamuk; editing by Grant McCool)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
By Kate Holton LONDON (Reuters) - The post-Brexit woes facing Scotland's fishing industry deepened on Saturday as its biggest logistics provider, DFDS Scotland, said it would halt exports to the European Union through one of its main services until at least Wednesday. Previously the company had said it would take until Monday to resume its "groupage" export service - which allows exporters to ship multiple products in a single consignment - while it tries to fix IT issues, paperwork errors and a backlog of goods. DFDS's move represents another blow for Scottish fishermen who this week warned that their businesses could become unviable after Britain shifted to a less integrated trade deal with the EU at the turn of the year
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis said on Saturday he planned to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as early as next week and urged everyone to get a shot, to protect not only their own lives but those of others.
U.S. Senator urges mobile, social media providers to keep Capitol rioters' data as man seen seizing Speaker's lectern arrested
By Rich McKay (Reuters) - A man photographed carrying off the Speaker's lectern during the Capitol Hill riots was arrested late Friday, while a top Democratic lawmaker on Saturday called on mobile carriers to preserve social media content related to the riots. Dozens of people have been charged following the storming of the Capitol on Wednesday, with the FBI asking the public for help identifying participants, given the proliferation of images of the riots on the internet.