Moscow: Russia is warning that it will start responding to cease-fire violations in Syria unilaterally starting Tuesday if the United States refuses to coordinate rules of engagement against the violators.
Lt. Gen. Sergei Rudskoi of the Russian General Staff said in a statement on Monday that Russia will do that because the US, in talks with Russia last week, had refused to coordinate a joint response.
Russian President Vladimir Putin last week recalled some of Russian warplanes from Syria, but said the action against the Islamic State group and the al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front will continue.
The Russian- and US-brokered cease-fire that began on 27 February has helped significantly reduce hostilities. The IS and the Nusra Front have been excluded from the truce.
Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.
Updated Date: Mar 21, 2016 14:45:39 IST