KFC chicken destroys girl's brain, penalty is $8.3 mn
An Australian judge has ordered KFC to pay $8.3 million to the family of a Sydney girl left brain damaged after eating one of the fast food giant's chicken wraps.
Sydney: An Australian judge has ordered KFC to pay 8 million Australian dollars ($8.3 million) to the family of a Sydney girl left brain damaged after eating one of the fast food giant's chicken wraps.
Monika Samaan's family sued KFC, claiming the then-7-year-old girl contracted salmonella poisoning from a KFC chicken wrap in 2005. Samaan was in a coma for months and left with brain damage.
New South Wales Supreme Court Justice Stephen Rothman ruled last week that KFC was responsible for the food poisoning. On Friday, he ordered KFC to pay AU$8 million damages plus legal costs.
KFC denied responsibility and said it would appeal.
Samaan's lawyer, George Vlahakis, said the family was relieved the court battle was over, but is upset about KFC's plans to appeal.
In the September quarter, Yum, which operates Pizza Hut, KFC and Taco Bell restaurants, posted an 18 percent same-store sales decline in India compared to a year ago.