Associate Partner

#RomneyStormTips: The lighter side of Sandy

Mitt Romney, the Republican Party's nominee for the President of the United States in 2012 is helping relieve Americans from their concerns regarding the impact of Hurricane Sandy. On Twitter, a hashtag ‘#RomneyStormTrips is zipping around as fast as the hurricane —and many of the updates are absolute gems. The most focus is on Romney’s recent goof-ups during media appearances and on his disconnect from the majority of Americans—and the fact that Romney is very, very rich.

A dig or two at Romney’s supposed ‘export’ of jobs to China during his years at consulting firm Bain are doing the rounds. Big Bird ‏@BigBirdRomney says: "I sent most of my staff home early because of the storm. Traffic in Beijing is insane at times like this."— Mitt Romney.”

 #RomneyStormTips: The lighter side of Sandy

Mitt Romney. AP

Alan Cox ‏@alancoxshow, on behalf of Romney, advises the worst affected."Everyone in the path of the hurricane should head to their second or third homes for safety."

John Pettitt ‏@jpp123 tells you not to worry as long as the storm is ‘legitimate’, making a delightful connect with various Republican party officials’ views on rape. “Don't worry about evacuating. If it's a legitimate storm, your home has a way of shutting itself down to protect itself,” he says.

There’s nothing to worry about, since everyone has (or ought to have, surely) rich parents one could touch in times of trouble.  Dr Matt ‏@DrMatthew’s simple words of wisdom: “If your house is destroyed, borrow money from your parents to buy a new one.”

Many on Twitter have jumped onto Romney’s 47 percent statement. “There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it— that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... My job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives,” Romney had said.

Twitterati hit right back. These sentiments, “My thoughts and prayers go out to 53% of you,” were echoed by many. Big Bird ‏@BigBirdRomney said, “53% of you will be fine. The other 47%, I couldn’t care less about.”

More digs on Romney’s wealth and the lifestyles of rich and famous American men.

One of the tips is for the women in Romney’s world: “Women— Ironing boards make great flood flotation devices,” says the tip.

More for women. “Martha Creedon ‏@MarthaCreedon retweets @mittstormtips, who urges women to be prepared. “Women, cook tomorrow's dinner tonight in case you don't have power tomorrow,” she says.

More concern for women. Morey Brown ‏@morey000 is so, so prtactical. “It's dangerous. Don't go out in the storm. Instead, send one of your servants,” he says.

There’s a lot of useable, actionable practical advice. Shoq Value ‏@Shoq reminds you, “Don't forget, your golf cart battery can be used to charge your phone in an emergency.”

David Gow ‏@WiselinePRT tells you how to stay safe. “The safest places in the house during a hurricane are either the wine cellar or bathroom in the downstairs maids' quarters.”

If it’s too windy, you could have a problem flying.Tom Boyer ‏@tomboyer helps out. “When your helicopter is grounded by wind and debris, you can always drive your Hummer to find higher ground,” he says.

And keep the Hummer safe. Uncle Sam ‏@Socialism4USA shares a tip on keeping the cars dry. “Make sure your car elevator is in good working order in case you have to boost your Bentley above the storm surge,” he says.

What about your yachts? There’s a tip for that, too. Mark ‏@vastargazer
#romneystormtips urges you to “ensure your staff secures your yacht(s) completely with strong rope. A PSA from #MittRomney.”

And to round it off, a message to Romney’s club mates. Ryan Patrick Simone ‏@RockPaperSimone creates this one: “To all my friends whose beach houses have sustained damage due to this ruthless hurricane—stay strong.”

The Great Diwali Discount!
Unlock 75% more savings this festive season. Get Moneycontrol Pro for a year for Rs 289 only.
Coupon code: DIWALI. Offer valid till 10th November, 2019 .

Updated Date: Oct 30, 2012 11:44:04 IST