Reports of scattered unrest as Ivory Coast holds vote
By Aaron Ross and Ange Aboa ABIDJAN (Reuters) - Ivory Coast appeared to have averted large-scale violence on Saturday in a presidential election boycotted by the opposition, although there were conflicting reports of scattered unrest in the provinces. The streets of the largest city Abidjan were quiet and voting appeared to have gone smoothly in most districts. Opponents accuse President Alassane Ouattara of violating the constitution by seeking a third term, and there had been concern that the voting could turn violent after more than 30 people were killed in pre-election unrest
By Aaron Ross and Ange Aboa
ABIDJAN (Reuters) - Ivory Coast appeared to have averted large-scale violence on Saturday in a presidential election boycotted by the opposition, although there were conflicting reports of scattered unrest in the provinces.
The streets of the largest city Abidjan were quiet and voting appeared to have gone smoothly in most districts. Opponents accuse President Alassane Ouattara of violating the constitution by seeking a third term, and there had been concern that the voting could turn violent after more than 30 people were killed in pre-election unrest.
The opposition said whole swathes of the country had not participated in the vote or had been prevented from doing so. Candidate Pascal Affi N'Guessan said the opposition estimated around 12 people had died as a result of civil disobedience campaigns.
A government source said two people had been killed and more wounded in clashes outside Abidjan. Ruling party representative Adama Bictogo reported there had been deaths but gave no figure. Police gave no update.
But Ouattara played down the extent of any violence or disruption.
"Apart from a few isolated places - a dozen or so - the vote is going well," he told journalists as he voted in Abidjan.
Djenebou Toure, a businesswoman sitting with friends outside a polling station in Abijan's Adjame district, said: "There was fear but it has not stopped us from coming out."
The electoral commission said that out of over 22,300 polling stations, 30-40 were vandalised.
Opponents of 78-year-old Ouattara say he is breaking the law by running again because the constitution limits presidents to two terms, and is jeopardising hard-earned economic gains.
"Ivorians refused to join in with this farce of an election," said Affi, who called for the boycott along with fellow candidate, former president Henri Konan Bedie.
Ouattara says he can run again under a new constitution approved in 2016, and is doing so only because his handpicked successor died unexpectedly in July. With his opponents having told their supporters not to vote, his victory is probably a foregone conclusion.
Polls closed as scheduled and vote-counting started soon after 6 p.m. (1800 GMT), according to Reuters journalists in Abidjan.
Violence linked to the election has brought back memories of the 2010 presidential vote, which unleashed a brief civil war killing 3,000 people after Ouattara's predecessor Laurent Gbagbo refused to step down.
Opponents call Ouattara's candidacy a new blow to West African democracy following a military coup in Mali in August and a successful third-term bid this month by the president of Guinea, Alpha Conde, also disputed by his opponents.
(Additional reporting by Loucoumane Coulibaly; Writing by Aaron Ross and Alessandra Prentice; Editing by Edward McAllister, Ros Russell and Frances Kerry)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
ADDIS ABABA/NAIROBI (Reuters) - Ethiopia's military is fighting battle-hardened troops in the northern Tigray region, threatening stability around the Horn of Africa. Here are some facts on the forces: THE NATIONAL MILITARY: THE ENDF The Ethiopian National Defence Force (ENDF) has around 140,000 active personnel, the vast majority of them in the army, according to the Janes security data group. Its troops have been tested by Islamist militants in Somalia and rebel groups in Ethiopia's border regions, as well as a two-year border war with Eritrea followed by an 18-year standoff that only ended in 2018.
ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday that the government will impose tighter measures to fight with the coronavirus and impose partial lockdowns on weekends across the country. Speaking after the cabinet meeting, Erdogan also said all schools will remain closed until the year-end and all restaurants will only work by delivery
BRASILIA (Reuters) - Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said on Tuesday his government in coming days will name countries that are importing wood illegally extracted from the Amazon. Addressing a BRICS summit of big developing economies, Bolsonaro said Brazilian police had developed a way of tracking wood exported from the Amazon using isotopes.