Pope names new Santiago Archbishop to deal with aftermath of abuse scandal in Chile

By Natalia A.

Reuters December 28, 2019 00:12:01 IST
Pope names new Santiago Archbishop to deal with aftermath of abuse scandal in Chile

Pope names new Santiago Archbishop to deal with aftermath of abuse scandal in Chile

By Natalia A. Ramos Miranda and Aislinn Laing

SANTIAGO (Reuters) - Pope Francis on Friday confirmed a Spanish priest as the new archbishop of Chile's capital Santiago, as the Vatican seeks to turn the page on a sexual abuse scandal that has shaken its standing and eroded support in the conservative Latin nation.

Celestino Aos, 74, was appointed apostolic administrator of Santiago in March this year after the Pope accepted the resignation of Cardinal Ricardo Ezzati, who faces multiple charges that he helped cover up sexual abuse of children.

Speaking shortly after his confirmation as the highest-ranking member of the Catholic Church in Chile, Aos promised to "seek justice, the truth, help the whistleblowers, people who suffer" but also said justice should not be "driven by passion, the emotion of the moment."

Aos was educated and trained in his native Spain but has spent 36 years working in Chile. He told an interviewer this year that the Pope´s declaration last year about a "culture of cover-up" of abuse in Chile had been "painful and unfair".

"There are some who have acted like this, and that is repugnant, but not everyone has," he told Catholic publication Crux in May. "The Pope started a process... He told us that changing a person is not the solution. It needs short, mid- and long-term planning."

To date, Chilean prosecutors have 159 open investigations into church abuse on their books, involving 271 victims. Prosecutors said they will submit a fresh request for access to Vatican abuse investigator Archbishop Charles Scicluna´s report into the church’s handling of abuse cases in Chile.

The new request follows a decision earlier this month in which Pope Francis abolished the rule https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope-abuse-secrecy/pope-abolishes-pontifical-secrecy-for-sex-abuse-investigations-idUSKBN1YL177 of “pontifical secrecy” that covered internal Church proceedings, evidence and tribunal decisions including into cases of sexual abuse of minors.

Two documents issued by the pope back practices that have been in place in some countries, particularly the United States, such as reporting suspicion of sex abuse to civil authorities where required by law.

Eight of Chile´s 27 dioceses are still led by apostolic administrators after the pope accepted the resignations of seven bishops and a several others retired.

(Reporting by Natalia Ramos and Aislinn Laing; Editing by David Gregorio)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

More than 20 killed in Mali airstrike on wedding ceremony - health worker
World

More than 20 killed in Mali airstrike on wedding ceremony - health worker

DAKAR (Reuters) - More than 20 people, including children, were killed in an airstrike during a wedding ceremony in central Mali on Sunday, a health worker with knowledge of the attack told Reuters. (Reporting By Edward McAllister; Editing by Aaron Ross)

Bleak start to new year for Britain as it enters third lockdown
World

Bleak start to new year for Britain as it enters third lockdown

By Estelle Shirbon and Natalie Thomas LONDON (Reuters) - Britain began its third COVID-19 lockdown on Tuesday with the government calling for one last major national effort to defeat the spread of a virus that has infected an estimated one in 50 citizens before mass vaccinations turn the tide. Finance minister Rishi Sunak announced a new package of business grants worth 4.6 billion pounds ($6.2 billion) to help keep people in jobs and firms afloat until measures are relaxed gradually, at the earliest from mid-February but likely later

France cranks up COVID-19 vaccine rollout to deliver shots faster
World

France cranks up COVID-19 vaccine rollout to deliver shots faster

By Dominique Vidalon and Sudip Kar-Gupta PARIS (Reuters) - France is stepping up its COVID-19 vaccine rollout by widening the first target group to include more health workers and simplifying a cumbersome process to deliver shots more quickly, Health Minister Olivier Veran said on Tuesday. France's inoculation campaign got off to a slow start, hampered in part by red tape and President Emmanuel Macron's decision to tread warily in one of the world's most vaccine-sceptical countries. France has fallen behind neighbours such as Britain and Germany, and the president is now demanding the vaccination programme be expedited