Pompeo says North Korea test site reports consistent with commitments

By Alexandria Sage STANFORD, California (Reuters) - Reports that North Korea has started dismantling facilities at a rocket test site are consistent with a commitment Pyongyang made at a summit last month, but it must go further and fully denuclearize, U.S.

Reuters July 25, 2018 01:06:23 IST
Pompeo says North Korea test site reports consistent with commitments

Pompeo says North Korea test site reports consistent with commitments

By Alexandria Sage

STANFORD, California (Reuters) - Reports that North Korea has started dismantling facilities at a rocket test site are consistent with a commitment Pyongyang made at a summit last month, but it must go further and fully denuclearize, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Tuesday.

Pompeo said after meetings with his Australian counterpart in California that the United States had been pressing North Korea to allow inspectors on the ground when the Sohae site was dismantled, something also "consistent" with a commitment by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at the Singapore summit in June with U.S. President Donald Trump

Asked at a joint news conference what further steps were needed by North Korea, Pompeo said: "They need to completely, fully denuclearize. That's the steps that Chairman Kim committed to."

As Pompeo spoke in California, Trump told an audience of U.S. veterans in Kansas City he hoped the remains of American soldiers killed in the 1950-53 Korean War would be returned by North Korea soon - another agreement the president has touted from the summit that has been slow to materialise.

"As you may know we're also working to bring back the remains of your brothers in arms who gave their lives to Korea," Trump said. "I hope that very soon these fallen warriors will begin coming home to lay at rest in American soil."

Washington-based think tank 38 North said on Monday that satellite images of the Sohae Satellite Launching Station from last week indicated North Korea had begun dismantling a building used to assemble space-launch vehicles and a nearby rocket engine test stand used to develop liquid-fuel engines for ballistic missiles and space-launch vehicles.

A 38 North report said it was a first step toward fulfilling a pledge made at the summit and a significant confidence-building step amid growing questions about North Korea's willingness to give up a nuclear weapons programme that threatens the United States.

U.S. officials have repeatedly said North Korea has committed to abandoning the programme, but Pyongyang has offered no details as to how it might go about this.

It has also appeared to drag out discussions on the promised return of American soldiers' remains. Pompeo said on July 18 that progress had been made on this issue and that he thought the first batch would be returned in the next couple of weeks.

Washington hoped North Korea would return about 50 sets of remains within two weeks but details were still uncertain, a senior U.S. defence official said last week.

(Reporting by Lesley Wroughton, Alexandria Sage, Steve Holland, David Alexander and David Brunnstrom; Writing by David Brunnstrom; Editing by Bernadette Baum and Grant McCool)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.