Pompeo says 'bad deal' with North Korea not an option, hopeful about summit

By Lesley Wroughton and Patricia Zengerle WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S.

Reuters May 24, 2018 00:06:42 IST
Pompeo says 'bad deal' with North Korea not an option, hopeful about summit

Pompeo says bad deal with North Korea not an option hopeful about summit

By Lesley Wroughton and Patricia Zengerle

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday the United States is prepared to walk away from nuclear negotiations with North Korea if an upcoming meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un heads in the wrong direction.

"A bad deal is not an option," Pompeo said in his written opening statement for a House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing. "The American people are counting on us to get this right. If the right deal is not on the table, we will respectfully walk away."

Pompeo expressed hope the summit will take place on June 12 in Singapore as scheduled after Trump said on Tuesday there was a "substantial chance" it will be called off amid concerns Pyongyang is not prepared to give up its nuclear arsenal.

Pompeo said a U.S.-led sanctions pressure campaign on Pyongyang would not be eased until North Korea gives up nuclear weapons and that the United States had no intention of making concessions to Pyongyang.

"Our posture will not change until we see credible steps taken toward the complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearization of the Korean peninsula," Pompeo said.

Pompeo said Trump would be leading the talks but declined to discuss how many people, or who, would be on the summit team.

Pompeo, who was director of the CIA before becoming secretary of state in April when Trump fired Rex Tillerson, has met twice with Kim in Pyongyang. On his most recent trip he brought back three Americans who had been held by North Korea.

Pompeo also addressed tensions with Iran over its nuclear program, saying Washington was seeking to meet with European and other allies on the way forward after Trump pulled the United States out of the 2015 Iran deal earlier this month.

He said he intends to meet with allies in June to discuss next steps to stop what he described as all of Tehran's nuclear and non-nuclear threats.

"We're not very far along ... A number of discussions have taken place below the foreign minister level," Pompeo said.

In a major speech on Monday, Pompeo demanded sweeping changes - including Iran dropping its nuclear program to pulling out of Syria's civil war - or face the "strongest sanctions in history" unless it changes its behavior. A senior Iranian official said it showed the United States was seeking regime change in Iran.

Members of the House committee repeatedly asked Pompeo about Americans held in Iran, including Robert Levinson, a former FBI agent and DEA agent, who disappeared in Iran in 2007.

Trump's withdrawal from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal prompted concerns among families of American prisoners held by the Islamic Republic that it will be more difficult to win their release.

(Reporting by Patricia Zengerle and Lesley Wroughton; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Bill Trott)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.