Philippine journalist Maria Ressa says new libel case 'ludicrous'

MANILA (Reuters) - Maria Ressa, who heads a Philippine news website known for its tough scrutiny of President Rodrigo Duterte, refused to enter a plea on Tuesday in a second cyber libel case she faces, saying the charges against her were ludicrous. Ressa, a Time Magazine Person of the Year in 2018, has faced a series of lawsuits that she says amount to intimidation against her and other journalists in a country previously known for upholding press freedom.

Reuters December 16, 2020 00:11:25 IST
Philippine journalist Maria Ressa says new libel case 'ludicrous'

Philippine journalist Maria Ressa says new libel case ludicrous

MANILA (Reuters) - Maria Ressa, who heads a Philippine news website known for its tough scrutiny of President Rodrigo Duterte, refused to enter a plea on Tuesday in a second cyber libel case she faces, saying the charges against her were ludicrous.

Ressa, a Time Magazine Person of the Year in 2018, has faced a series of lawsuits that she says amount to intimidation against her and other journalists in a country previously known for upholding press freedom.

"I will take this all the way to the end, and we will win it, because it's ludicrous," Ressa, CEO of news site Rappler (www.rappler.com), told reporters outside the court in Manila.

Ressa's counsel, Theodore Te, said they had agreed to a conditional arraignment while waiting for a decision on a motion to quash the charges.

Businessman Wilfredo Keng had filed a new cyber libel case against Ressa, accusing her of sharing screenshots of a 2002 article linking him to a criminal report. Keng's lawyers did not talk to reporters after the hearing.

In June, Ressa was convicted of libel over a 2012 article that linked Keng to illegal activities. She faces up to six year in jail but is appealing the ruling.

Ressa is also facing several other cases, including tax offences and violation of foreign-ownership rules in media.

She has said the cases are a form of harassment due to her news site's critical reports on Duterte's bloody war on drugs, during which more than 5,900 suspected drug dealers and users have been killed in anti-narcotics operations.

Duterte has lambasted media agencies for critical reporting on alleged rights abuses in the campaign.

In July, lawmakers allied with the president blocked the application of media conglomerate ABS-CBN Corp, which has also angered Duterte, for a congressional franchise renewal.

As a result, the country's biggest broadcaster closed radio stations, shut down provincial offices and laid off thousands of workers.

(Reporting by Jay Ereno; Writing by Neil Jerome Morales; Editing by Ed Davies, Robert Birsel)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

More than 20 killed in Mali airstrike on wedding ceremony - health worker
World

More than 20 killed in Mali airstrike on wedding ceremony - health worker

DAKAR (Reuters) - More than 20 people, including children, were killed in an airstrike during a wedding ceremony in central Mali on Sunday, a health worker with knowledge of the attack told Reuters. (Reporting By Edward McAllister; Editing by Aaron Ross)

Bleak start to new year for Britain as it enters third lockdown
World

Bleak start to new year for Britain as it enters third lockdown

By Estelle Shirbon and Natalie Thomas LONDON (Reuters) - Britain began its third COVID-19 lockdown on Tuesday with the government calling for one last major national effort to defeat the spread of a virus that has infected an estimated one in 50 citizens before mass vaccinations turn the tide. Finance minister Rishi Sunak announced a new package of business grants worth 4.6 billion pounds ($6.2 billion) to help keep people in jobs and firms afloat until measures are relaxed gradually, at the earliest from mid-February but likely later

France cranks up COVID-19 vaccine rollout to deliver shots faster
World

France cranks up COVID-19 vaccine rollout to deliver shots faster

By Dominique Vidalon and Sudip Kar-Gupta PARIS (Reuters) - France is stepping up its COVID-19 vaccine rollout by widening the first target group to include more health workers and simplifying a cumbersome process to deliver shots more quickly, Health Minister Olivier Veran said on Tuesday. France's inoculation campaign got off to a slow start, hampered in part by red tape and President Emmanuel Macron's decision to tread warily in one of the world's most vaccine-sceptical countries. France has fallen behind neighbours such as Britain and Germany, and the president is now demanding the vaccination programme be expedited