Pentagon failed to disclose thousands of air strikes in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan: Report

Pentagon has failed to disclose thousands of air strikes the US military had conducted in Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan against militants in those countries.

Reuters February 06, 2017 17:08:23 IST
Pentagon failed to disclose thousands of air strikes in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan: Report

The Pentagon has failed to disclose up to thousands of air strikes the US military carried out over several years in Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan against militants in those countries, the Military Times reported on Sunday.

Pentagon failed to disclose thousands of air strikes in Iraq Syria and Afghanistan Report

File photo of the Pentagon. Reuters

Last year, the United States carried out at least 456 air strikes in Afghanistan that were not documented in a US Air Force database, the website reported. The air strikes were conducted by US Army helicopters and drones.

The incomplete data could go back to October 2001, according to the Military Times, which describes itself as an independent news organisation.

The Pentagon and Army did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Earlier, while facing questions about a raid conducted in Yemen, in which a US Navy SEAL and some civilians including an eight-year-old girl were killed, the Pentagon had said that good intelligence was collected and had released clips of video retrieved during the raid.

"The videos released are samples of a series of detailed, do-it-yourself lessons intended for aspiring terrorist bomb-makers and included an exhortation to use those techniques to attack the West," an accompanying statement from Central Command had said.

Central Command added that among those killed in the raid were two al Qaeda operations planners and weapons experts.

Updated Date:

also read

Taliban tells NATO time for attacks is over, should 'engage through diplomacy'
World

Taliban tells NATO time for attacks is over, should 'engage through diplomacy'

Last week, NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg had said that they must stay vigilant in tracking the developments in the troubled country

Kandahar: 32 dead, 53 wounded in Shia mosque blast in southern Afghanistan
World

Kandahar: 32 dead, 53 wounded in Shia mosque blast in southern Afghanistan

The cause of the explosions was not immediately clear, but they came a week after a suicide attack on Shiite worshippers at a mosque in the northern city of Kunduz that was claimed by the Islamic State group

FIFA evacuated over 100 football family members from Afghanistan after complex negotiations
Sports

FIFA evacuated over 100 football family members from Afghanistan after complex negotiations

The evacuation, especially of women footballers, was necessitated by the Taliban's takeover of the strife-torn country in August this year.