Moscow: Russia is prepared to consider new proposals from the United States to replace the suspended Cold War-era Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) pact with a broader treaty that includes more countries, Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said on Thursday.
Russia suspended the INF treaty at the weekend after Washington announced it would withdraw in six months unless Russia ends what it says are violations of the pact, allegations rejected by Moscow. The 1987 treaty eliminated the medium-range missile arsenals of the world’s two biggest nuclear powers, but leaves other countries free to produce and deploy them.
US president Donald Trump said last week he would like to hold talks aimed at creating a new arms control treaty.
"We, of course, saw the reference in president Trump’s statement to the possibility of a new treaty that could be signed in a beautiful room, and that this treaty should also include other countries as its participants,” Ryabkov said. "We look forward to this proposal being made concrete and put on paper or by other means..."
Ryabkov said the United States had not sent Moscow any concrete proposals for a new pact.
Your guide to the latest seat tally, live updates, analysis and list of winners for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on firstpost.com/elections. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Instagram or like our Facebook page for updates from all 542 constituencies on counting day of the general elections.
Updated Date: Feb 07, 2019 15:46:25 IST