Old financing dispute hangs over Notre-Dame blaze donations
By Inti Landauro and Caroline Pailliez PARIS (Reuters) - For years Notre-Dame cathedral was caught in a dispute between the city's archdiocese and the French state over who should pay for repairs to its crumbling gargoyles, collapsed balustrades and weather-eroded Gothic facades. Awaiting funds, Church officials used plastic pipes to drain water from one of the world's most admired landmarks and created a 'stone cemetery' from the fallen masonry.
By Inti Landauro and Caroline Pailliez
PARIS (Reuters) - For years Notre-Dame cathedral was caught in a dispute between the city's archdiocese and the French state over who should pay for repairs to its crumbling gargoyles, collapsed balustrades and weather-eroded Gothic facades.
Awaiting funds, Church officials used plastic pipes to drain water from one of the world's most admired landmarks and created a "stone cemetery" from the fallen masonry.
On Tuesday, hours after flames had toppled the cathedral's once towering wood-framed spire and gutted the roof, French tycoons had already pledged hundreds of millions of euros for restoration, as had some of the country's best-known companies.
Before the end of the day, donations had exceeded 700 million euros ($790.93 million).
"It's a shame," said Philippe de Cuverville, general director for the Paris archdiocese in charge of economic affairs. "We tend to wait for things to become catastrophic before we take care of them. It's just human nature."
The outpouring of funds came amid a sense of national grief over Monday's massive blaze at the 12th century Gothic cathedral in the heart of Paris.
Tuesday's largesse was in sharp contrast to fundraising just two years ago, when the diocese appealed for 150 million euros to help restore the cathedral, some of which dates to the middle of the 12th century.
The government of former President Francois Hollande agreed to contribute 4 million euros annually over a 10-year period, double the 2 million euros the diocese said it would raise.
That still left the church nearly 100 million euros short, prompting the Friends of Notre-Dame charity, set up by the archbishop, to undertake fundraising overseas. He warned then of a grave risk that parts of the cathedral's exterior could break up.
"We hoped that if we managed to raise more we would convince the government to raise its promises and do more work," de Cuverville said.
The first pledge on Monday evening, as the blaze was still burning strong and consuming the oak-framed roof.
Francois-Henri Pinault of Kering Group, owners of Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent, offered 100 million euros. Soon after, his arch-rival Bernard Arnault of luxury group LVMH pledged double Pinault's sum.
The Bettencourt-Meyer family, the largest shareholder in the L'Oreal cosmetics empire, offered 200 million euros, while oil and gas producer Total pledged 100 million. The City of Paris said it would unlock 50 million euros.
French prosecutors investigating the blaze said it was probably caused by accident. The Paris prosecutor has opened an investigation into "involuntary destruction by fire" and police began questioning workers involved in the restoration.
Jean-Michel Leniaud, head of the science council at the National Heritage Institute, said the blaze was the result of carelessness and neglect that stemmed in part from what he called a puerile conflict between the state, which officially owns Notre-Dame and is avowedly secular, and the Church.
"The lack of real maintenance and daily attention to a major building is the cause of this disaster," Leniaud told Catholic newspaper La Croix. "The responsibility is completely collective because it's the most collective monument in the country."
"We imagine that our patrimony will last forever, without us doing anything," he said.
Disputes over the financing for Notre-Dame's restoration go back two centuries to the last major project carried out during the 1800s, when architect Eugene Viollet-le-Duc designed and added the cathedral's spire, historians say.
"There was a continual cry for funds (in the 19th century) because the needs were so great for a building of that size. Necessarily it required enormous expenditures of money just to maintain it," said Professor Kevin Murphy at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee.
Designing the rebuild will see two competing forces run up against each other, he said. "Imperative one is to preserve the building as an icon of French architecture, and the other is to make it serviceable for its purposes as a place of worship."
(Reporting by Inti Landauro and Caroline Paillez; Additional reporting by Richard Lough; Writing by Inti Landauro and Richard Lough; Editing by Luke Baker and Frances Kerry)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
By Jessica Resnick-Ault NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oil prices strengthened on Wednesday, as OPEC and its allies were seen complying with a pact to cut oil supply in September, even as concerns loomed that recovery in fuel demand will be stalled by soaring global coronavirus cases. Early in the day crude was boosted by a bullish stock market. Even as equities whipsawed on pandemic worries, oil stayed higher, buoyed by expectations that OPEC could staunch a supply glut
By Tina Bellon and C Nivedita (Reuters) - Tesla Inc will further cut the price of its Model S "Long Range" sedan in the United States to $69,420, the electric carmaker's chief executive, Elon Musk, announced in a tweet https://bit.ly/2H0JCP0 on Wednesday. The anticipated drop marks the second time this week Tesla has cut the price for the high-end sedan, following a 4% cut of the Model S's price in the United States on Tuesday to $71,990.
By Jeff Mason DES MOINES, Iowa (Reuters) - Under siege over his handling of the novel coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump on Wednesday cited what he said was his son's mild bout of the virus as a reason why American schools should reopen as soon as possible. Trump made the comment about his son, Barron, as the president swept into Iowa on a mission to shore up support in battleground states that he won in 2016 but is in danger of losing to Democrat Joe Biden barely three weeks before the election. First lady Melania Trump announced in a statement earlier in the day that the virus that struck both her and her husband had also infected their 14-year-old son