Seoul: A latest missile launch by North Korea on Wednesday appeared to have ended in a failure, South Korean defense officials said, three days after the North claimed a major breakthrough in its rocket development programme.
The reported launch failure come as US and South Korean troops were conducting their annual military drills that the North calls an invasion rehearsal. Earlier this month, North Korea fired four ballistic missiles that landed in waters off Japan, triggering strong protests from Seoul and Tokyo.
On Wednesday morning, the North fired a missile from the eastern coastal town of Wonsan but the launch was believed to have ended in a failure, Seoul's Defense Ministry said in a statement. It said it was analysing what type of missile North Korea launched.
American officials said earlier this week that the US military expected another North Korean missile launch in the next several days. The officials said the US had increased its surveillance over the North and had detected a North Korean missile launcher being moved, as well as the construction of VIP seating in Wonsan.
The North's state media said Sunday that it had conducted a ground test of a new type of high-thrust rocket engine, which it hailed as a breakthrough for the country's space programme. Weapons experts say such technology has applications for the North's ballistic missile program.
Your guide to the latest seat tally, live updates, analysis and list of winners for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on firstpost.com/elections. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Instagram or like our Facebook page for updates from all 542 constituencies on counting day of the general elections.
Updated Date: Mar 22, 2017 09:24:41 IST