North Korea denounces Mike Pompeo as 'obstruction to nuclear negotiations' days before Donald Trump's visit to Seoul

North Korea denounced US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo as an obstruction to nuclear negotiations, days before Donald Trump visits Seoul while talks with Pyongyang are deadlocked.

Agence France-Presse June 26, 2019 14:13:34 IST
North Korea denounces Mike Pompeo as 'obstruction to nuclear negotiations' days before Donald Trump's visit to Seoul
  • North Korea denounced US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo as an obstruction to nuclear negotiations on Wednesday, days before Trump visits Seoul

  • The process has been stalled since the second summit between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Hanoi in February collapsed

  • The two sides have had minimal contact and Trump is due to fly to Seoul at the weekend for talks with South Korean President Moon Jae-in

Seoul: North Korea denounced US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo as an obstruction to nuclear negotiations on Wednesday, days before President Donald Trump visits Seoul while talks with Pyongyang are deadlocked.

The process has been stalled since the second summit between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Hanoi in February collapsed, after they failed to agree on what North Korea would be willing to give up in exchange for sanctions relief.

North Korea denounces Mike Pompeo as obstruction to nuclear negotiations days before Donald Trumps visit to Seoul

File image of Mike Pompeo. AP

The two sides have had minimal contact and Trump is due to fly to Seoul at the weekend for talks with South Korean president Moon Jae-in.

But a spokesman for North Korea's foreign ministry criticised Trump's top diplomat on Wednesday, calling recent comments by Pompeo "a manifestation of the most extreme hostile acts" against Pyongyang.

The top US diplomat told reporters this week the resumption of working-level talks with the North was becoming "a very real possibility", adding, "Some 80-plus percent of the North Korean economy is sanctioned."

He immediately corrected himself, saying he had misspoken and the figure applied to the effect of US sanctions on Iran, but the remarks were nonetheless deemed "reckless" by Pyongyang.

"If the US sanctions are affecting 80-plus percent of our economy, as Pompeo mentioned, the question is whether the US target is to raise it up to 100 percent," the foreign ministry spokesman said in a statement carried by the North's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).

Hostile comments and actions by US policymakers were hampering top-level efforts to revive the stalled diplomacy, the spokesman added, so that it would be "difficult" to look forward to "the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula".

On Sunday, KCNA reported that Kim received a personal message "of excellent content" from the US president, just days after Trump said he received a "beautiful letter" from the North Korean leader.

Pompeo visited Pyongyang four times last year as Trump's top envoy to arrange his two summits with the North Korean leader. But since Hanoi, North Korea has accused Washington of acting in "bad faith" and demanded the removal of top US officials.

Last month the North slammed National Security Advisor John Bolton, calling him a "war maniac" and "warmonger".

Pyongyang, however, has refrained from insulting Trump, who has expressed confidence in his relationship with Kim and even claimed they had "fallen in love".

Updated Date:

also read

North Korea fires ballistic missile into sea in latest weapon test
World

North Korea fires ballistic missile into sea in latest weapon test

Within days, President Joe Biden’s special envoy for North Korea, Sung Kim, is scheduled to hold talks with US allies in Seoul over the prospects of reviving talks with North Korea

Saudi royal family reportedly gifted Donald Trump with fake tiger and cheetah fur robes
World

Saudi royal family reportedly gifted Donald Trump with fake tiger and cheetah fur robes

It is unclear if the Saudi royal family was aware of the fake furs or was deceived by a supplier. The Saudi Embassy in Washington declined to respond to the matter, as did a spokesperson for Trump

Donald Trump files lawsuit to keep Congress from accessing documents on Capitol Hill violence
World

Donald Trump files lawsuit to keep Congress from accessing documents on Capitol Hill violence

The Biden administration, in clearing the documents for release, said the violent siege of the Capitol more than nine months ago was such an extraordinary circumstance that it merited waiving the privilege that usually protects White House communications.