North Korea berates South Korea's top diplomat for doubt over 'zero COVID-19 cases'

By Hyonhee Shin SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea lashed out at South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha for casting doubt over its claim that there were no coronavirus outbreaks there, warning of consequences for her 'impudent' comment, state media said on Wednesday.

Reuters December 09, 2020 05:10:18 IST
North Korea berates South Korea's top diplomat for doubt over 'zero COVID-19 cases'

COVID-19 cases'" src="https://images.firstpost.com/wp-content/uploads/reuters/12-2020/09/2020-12-08T223052Z_1_LYNXMPEGB71UZ_RTROPTP_2_SOUTHKOREA-CHINA-MINISTERS.jpg" alt="North Korea berates South Koreas top diplomat for doubt over zero COVID19 cases" width="300" height="225" />

By Hyonhee Shin

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea lashed out at South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha for casting doubt over its claim that there were no coronavirus outbreaks there, warning of consequences for her "impudent" comment, state media said on Wednesday.

Kang said on Saturday that it was "hard to believe" that North Korea had no coronavirus cases even as the country has been making all-out efforts to prevent the disease.

North Korea has not officially confirmed any infections, though it has said there were thousands of "suspected cases."

Kim Yo Jong, the sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un who serves as a senior ruling Workers' Party official, issued a statement to the official KCNA news agency, saying Kang's remarks were intended to further strain inter-Korean ties.

"It can be seen from the reckless remarks made by her without any consideration of the consequences that she is too eager to further chill the frozen relations," Kim said.

"We will never forget her words and she might have to pay dearly for it."

South Korean President Moon Jae-in and Kim Jong Un held three summits in 2018 but the relations have made little progress since a failed 2019 summit between Kim and U.S. President Donald Trump, which Moon had offered to mediate.

KCNA said last week that North Korea has imposed "top-class emergency measures" to block the coronavirus making inroads.

Seoul's National Intelligence Service has said an outbreak in the North cannot be ruled out as the isolated country had trade and people-to-people exchanges with China, where the virus emerged a year ago, before sealing the border in late January.

The KCNA report came as U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Biegun, Washington's point man on North Korea who had led denuclearisation talks, arrived in Seoul late on Monday on his potential last trip before a new U.S. administration under President-elect Joe Biden takes office next month.

Pyongyang has not issued a formal response to the recent U.S. election.

(Reporting by Hyonhee Shin; Editing by Sandra Maler)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

French new COVID-19 cases at seven-week high
World

French new COVID-19 cases at seven-week high

PARIS (Reuters) - France's new COVID-19 infections are on average increasing by more than 18,000 a day, a seven-week high, and the number of people hospitalised is rising again as the country grapples with the more infectious variant of the virus first found in Britain. These latest trends, published on Monday, will be discussed in the coming days by the government which is pondering whether to impose a third national lockdown and extend a 6 p.m.

Trump returns Cuba to U.S. list of state sponsors of terrorism
World

Trump returns Cuba to U.S. list of state sponsors of terrorism

By Matt Spetalnick WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration on Monday announced it was returning Cuba to the U.S. list of state sponsors of terrorism, a move that could complicate any efforts by the incoming Biden administration to revive Obama-era detente with Havana

Turkey, Greece to resume suspended talks over disputed waters on Jan. 25
World

Turkey, Greece to resume suspended talks over disputed waters on Jan. 25

By Tuvan Gumrukcu and Renee Maltezou ANKARA/ATHENS (Reuters) - Turkey and Greece will resume long-suspended exploratory talks over territorial claims in the Mediterranean Sea that brought them close to conflict last year, on Jan.