No evidence Islamic State responsible for Toronto attack - police
TORONTO/CAIRO (Reuters) - Canadian police denied claims on Wednesday by Islamic State that it was responsible for a weekend shooting in Toronto that killed two people and wounded 13. Faisal Hussain, 29, was identified by police as the gunman who opened fire on a busy Toronto street, killing a 10-year-old girl and an 18-year-old woman.
TORONTO/CAIRO (Reuters) - Canadian police denied claims on Wednesday by Islamic State that it was responsible for a weekend shooting in Toronto that killed two people and wounded 13.
Faisal Hussain, 29, was identified by police as the gunman who opened fire on a busy Toronto street, killing a 10-year-old girl and an 18-year-old woman. He was found dead shortly after the shooting, authorities said.
Islamic State said he "was a soldier of the Islamic State and carried out the attack in response to calls to target the citizens of the coalition countries."
The group did not provide further detail or evidence for the claim made by its AMAQ news agency.
"At this stage, we have no evidence to support these claims," said Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders.
"We will continue to explore every investigative avenue including interviewing those who knew Mr. Hussain, reviewing his online activity, and looking into his experiences with mental health."
Hussain's family said their son, who worked in a grocery store but spent much of his time at home, struggled with severe mental illness.
Police said it was not yet known how Hussain obtained a gun.
The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, citing an unnamed police source, said on Wednesday that he got the gun from his brother and the weapon was traced to the United States.
The brother has been in a coma for some time, neighbours told Reuters, and is hospitalized. A sister died after a car accident several years ago.
Late Tuesday, police identified the 10-year-old victim as Julianna Kozis. Reese Fallon, 18, a recent high school graduate also died.
(Reporting by Omar Fahmy in Cairo and Danya Hajjaji in Toronto; Editing by John Stonestreet and Susan Thomas)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
By Jessica Resnick-Ault NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oil prices strengthened on Wednesday, as OPEC and its allies were seen complying with a pact to cut oil supply in September, even as concerns loomed that recovery in fuel demand will be stalled by soaring global coronavirus cases. Early in the day crude was boosted by a bullish stock market. Even as equities whipsawed on pandemic worries, oil stayed higher, buoyed by expectations that OPEC could staunch a supply glut
By Tina Bellon and C Nivedita (Reuters) - Tesla Inc will further cut the price of its Model S "Long Range" sedan in the United States to $69,420, the electric carmaker's chief executive, Elon Musk, announced in a tweet https://bit.ly/2H0JCP0 on Wednesday. The anticipated drop marks the second time this week Tesla has cut the price for the high-end sedan, following a 4% cut of the Model S's price in the United States on Tuesday to $71,990.
By Jeff Mason DES MOINES, Iowa (Reuters) - Under siege over his handling of the novel coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump on Wednesday cited what he said was his son's mild bout of the virus as a reason why American schools should reopen as soon as possible. Trump made the comment about his son, Barron, as the president swept into Iowa on a mission to shore up support in battleground states that he won in 2016 but is in danger of losing to Democrat Joe Biden barely three weeks before the election. First lady Melania Trump announced in a statement earlier in the day that the virus that struck both her and her husband had also infected their 14-year-old son