New York police arrest man in attack on Asian woman in hate crime case

By Peter Szekely and Maria Ponnezhath NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City police said on Wednesday they arrested a convicted murderer on charges of attacking a 65-year-old Asian woman on a street, an assault captured on a video that went viral amid a rise in anti-Asian hate crimes in the United States. Brandon Elliot, 38, was identified as the man seen in the video kicking the woman to the ground and then kicking her several more times on Monday near Times Square in midtown Manhattan, the New York Police Department said in a statement. Elliot, who was on lifetime parole after serving a prison term for murdering his mother, faces several assault and hate-crime charges, police said.

Reuters April 01, 2021 00:11:00 IST
New York police arrest man in attack on Asian woman in hate crime case

New York police arrest man in attack on Asian woman in hate crime case

By Peter Szekely and Maria Ponnezhath

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City police said on Wednesday they arrested a convicted murderer on charges of attacking a 65-year-old Asian woman on a street, an assault captured on a video that went viral amid a rise in anti-Asian hate crimes in the United States.

Brandon Elliot, 38, was identified as the man seen in the video kicking the woman to the ground and then kicking her several more times on Monday near Times Square in midtown Manhattan, the New York Police Department said in a statement.

Elliot, who was on lifetime parole after serving a prison term for murdering his mother, faces several assault and hate-crime charges, police said. The NYPD said its Hate Crimes Force had been looking for the assailant since Monday afternoon. Police have said the assailant was heard making anti-Asian statements during the assault.

The New York Times identified the victim of the attack as Vilma Kari, an immigrant from the Philippines, citing a law enforcement source. Police did not immediately confirm her identity. According to the Times, Kari suffered a fractured pelvis.

There has been an increase in hate crimes reported against Asian Americans during the COVID-19 pandemic. Former President Donald Trump often referred to the novel coronavirus as the "China virus" and the "China plague."

Such crimes rose by 149% in 2020 in 16 major cities compared with 2019, according to the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino.

Concern over anti-Asian hate crimes was heightened when six Asian women were among eight people fatally shot this month at Atlanta-area spas. A 21-year-old man was charged with the murders. Police have yet to determine a motive.

President Joe Biden's administration on Tuesday announced a set of measures responding to anti-Asian violence in the United States, including deploying $49.5 million from COVID-19 relief funds for U.S. community programs that help victims.

In Monday's attack in New York, a security video showed witnesses inside the lobby of a building apparently watching the assault but making no effort to help the woman. One man shut the front door while the attacker walked away.

The Brodsky Organization, which owns and operates the building, said it has suspended two employees while it and an employees' union investigate their response to the attack.

"We take this situation very seriously, and are committed to strengthening internal training, and working with our community to ensure the safety of our residents and neighbors," the Brodsky Organization said in a statement.

"That was just horrifying to watch - someone standing right there and turning away rather than trying some form of intervention," New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a briefing on Wednesday.

New York police also are investigating an assault last week on a subway train against a young man who appeared to be Asian. The attack was captured on another widely viewed video. Police Commissioner Dermot Shea said the man, who was left unconscious after he was pummeled and choked, has yet to report the crime.

"We have made a lot of headway in that crime," Shea said on PIX-11 TV. "I can't get into the specifics. We ask anyone with information to please come forward."

(Reporting by Peter Szekely in New York, Gabriella Borter in Washington and Maria Ponnezhath in Bengaluru; Editing by Will Dunham)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

Venezuela and Colombia rights groups ask for U.N. envoy amid border violence
World

Venezuela and Colombia rights groups ask for U.N. envoy amid border violence

CARACAS (Reuters) - Human rights groups from Venezuela and Colombia on Wednesday called on the United Nations to appoint a special envoy to address the humanitarian crisis caused by clashes between Venezuelan troops and Colombian armed groups near the countries' border. Colombian officials estimate that some 4,000 people have fled Venezuela for Colombia since March 21 following a military offensive in Venezuela's Apure state.

Jailed Kremlin critic Navalny goes on hunger strike over lack of medical care
World

Jailed Kremlin critic Navalny goes on hunger strike over lack of medical care

By Anton Zverev and Andrew Osborn MOSCOW (Reuters) - Jailed Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny went on hunger strike on Wednesday in an attempt to force the prison holding him outside Moscow to provide him with proper medical care for what he said was acute pain in his back and legs. The fate of Navalny, one of President Vladimir Putin's most prominent critics, is in focus after he said last week that being woken up by a guard every hour during the night amounted to torture and that his appeals for medical treatment had been ignored. In a handwritten letter addressed to the governor of his prison which was posted to social media by his team on Wednesday, Navalny said daily requests for a doctor of his choice to examine him and for proper medicine had been ignored

Gbabgo could return to Ivory Coast after ICC upholds acquittal
World

Gbabgo could return to Ivory Coast after ICC upholds acquittal

By Stephanie van den Berg THE HAGUE (Reuters) - The International Criminal Court on Wednesday upheld its 2019 acquittal of former Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo on charges of crimes against humanity during post-election violence and ordered all conditions of his release be removed. The decision may open the way for Gbagbo, 75, who has been living in Belgium, to return to Ivory Coast