New Genoa bridge to open in August, two years after fatal collapse
MILAN (Reuters) - A new viaduct in the Italian port city of Genoa will open next month, built to replace a motorway bridge that collapsed almost two years ago, killing 43 people. 'Genoa's Saint George bridge will be inaugurated on Aug.
MILAN (Reuters) - A new viaduct in the Italian port city of Genoa will open next month, built to replace a motorway bridge that collapsed almost two years ago, killing 43 people.
"Genoa's Saint George bridge will be inaugurated on Aug. 3 at 1830 local time (1630 GMT)," Genoa Mayor Marco Bucci said on a post on his Facebook account. Bucci is also the state-appointed commissioner for the replacement of the bridge.
Connecting Italy with France, a section of the old bridge broke apart on Aug. 14, 2018, sending dozens of cars plunging to the ground. The disaster prompting national outrage and triggered a bitter dispute between the government and infrastructure group Atlantia
Hundreds of workers in a consortium including inspection and engineering services group RINA, builder Webuild
(Reporting by Francesca Landini; Editing by Alexandra Hudson)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Christian Mang BERLIN (Reuters) - At least 5,000 protesters took to the streets on Saturday during May Day rallies in Berlin, clashing with police and injuring three officers, police said. The injuries occurred after some demonstrators threw fireworks, bottles and rocks in protests over social inequality
MOGADISHU (Reuters) -Somali lawmakers voted unanimously on Saturday to cancel a two-year presidential term extension they had approved last month, after clashes in the capital Mogadishu between factions of the security forces, which are divided over the issue. In a speech following the vote in the lower house of parliament, Prime Minister Mohamed Hussein Roble ordered the army to return to barracks and urged politicians to avoid inciting violence
(Corrects name to Kwon, not Kim, in paragraphs 6-7) By Josh Smith SEOUL (Reuters) -Recent comments from U.S. President Joe Biden and members of his administration show he is intent on maintaining a hostile policy toward North Korea that will require a corresponding response from Pyongyang, North Korea's Foreign Ministry said on Sunday. The comments came in a series of statements carried on state news agency KCNA, after the White House on Friday said U.S.