Nato chief to visit Turkey after failed coup attempt
Over 270 people died in the July 15 attempted putsch and developments since have strained relations between Turkey and many of its Nato allies.
Brussels: Nato Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg will make his first visit to Turkey since a violent coup attempt rocked the key alliance member in July.
Nato said in a statement today that Stoltenberg will visit Ankara, the Turkish capital, on Thursday and Friday. It said he will meet with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, Defense Minister Fikri Isik and other high-level officials.
Over 270 people died in the July 15 attempted putsch and developments since have strained relations between Turkey and many of its Nato allies. Turkish authorities have accused the West of being more concerned about the rights of the plotters and of people who supported them than the attempt to overthrow the lawfully elected government of a Nato member by force.
UEFA told AFP that it had been assured that the lockdown, which began on Thursday and is set to run until 17 May, "should not have any impact on the match", which will take place at the Ataturk Olympic Stadium with a "limited number of spectators".
In historic move, US president Joe Biden recognises 1915 massacre of Armenians by Ottoman forces as genocide
Around 1.5 million Armenians are estimated to have been killed from 1915 to 1917. Turkey, which emerged from the ashes of the Ottoman Empire, rejects the charge of genocide