Nashville blast investigation leads U.S. agents to suburban home

By Harrison McClary and Gabriella Borter NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Reuters) - Federal agents investigating an explosion in Nashville were searching a two-story suburban house on Saturday for clues to explain why a motor home blew up and injured three people in the heart of America's country music capital on Christmas Day

Reuters December 27, 2020 05:10:09 IST
Nashville blast investigation leads U.S. agents to suburban home

Nashville blast investigation leads US agents to suburban home

By Harrison McClary and Gabriella Borter

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Reuters) - Federal agents investigating an explosion in Nashville were searching a two-story suburban house on Saturday for clues to explain why a motor home blew up and injured three people in the heart of America's country music capital on Christmas Day.

The motor home, parked on a downtown street of Tennessee's largest city, exploded at dawn on Friday moments after police responding to reports of gunfire noticed it and heard an automated message emanating from it warning of a bomb.

The thunderous, fiery blast destroyed several vehicles, damaged more than 40 businesses and left a trail of shards from shattered windows.

Following up on what they said were more than 500 leads, local police and agents from the FBI and U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were searching a two-story red brick house on Bakertown Road in Antioch, Tennessee, 11 miles (18 km) southeast of Nashville, paying particular attention to its basement, according to a Reuters witness.

Officials declined to name a person of interest in connection with the explosion on Saturday, but CBS News reported that the investigation has honed in on 63-year-old Anthony Quinn Warner, who recently lived at the Bakertown address, according to public records.

Google Street View images of the house from 2019 show what appears to be a white motor home in the driveway. Neighbors told local TV station WKRN that the recreational vehicle had been parked there for years and is now gone.

"Once we have processed the scene, we will look at the evidence and anything that we have recovered from this residence and see how that fits into this investigation," FBI spokesman Darrell Debusk, who was at the house on Saturday, told Reuters in a telephone interview.

"At this point we're not prepared to identify any single individual," FBI Special Agent in Charge Doug Korneski said at a news conference on Saturday.

Korneski told reporters that investigators were "vigorously working on" identifying what appeared to be human remains found in the wreckage. He declined to say whether investigators believe the remains belong to the person behind what officials say was "an intentional act."

Korneski said the FBI's Quantico, Virginia-based Behavioral Analysis Unit was helping determine the motivation of the person responsible.

The vehicle was parked outside an AT&T Inc office, and the blast caused widespread telephone, internet and TV service outages in central Tennessee and parts of several neighboring states, including Mississippi, Kentucky, Alabama and Georgia.

A RECORDING, THEN A BLAST

Adding to the cryptic nature of Friday's incident was the eerie preamble described by police and witnesses - a crackle of gunfire followed by an apparently computer-generated female voice from the RV reciting a minute-by-minute countdown to an impending bombing.

Police scrambled to evacuate nearby homes and buildings and called for a bomb squad, which was en route to the scene when the RV blew up.

Police later posted a photo of the motor home, which they said had arrived in the area about five hours prior to the explosion.

Officials said 41 businesses were damaged and three people were hospitalized with relatively minor injuries. City authorities hailed police officers who they said likely prevented more casualties by acting quickly to clear the area.

Dozens of agents from the FBI and the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were surveying the scene on Saturday. Parked cars and trees were blackened and an exploded water pipe that had been spraying overnight had covered trees in a layer of ice.

"All the windows came in from the living room into the bedroom. The front door became unhinged," Buck McCoy, who lives on the block where the blast occurred, told WKRN. "I had blood coming from my face and on my side and on my legs and a little bit on my feet."

Tennessee Governor Bill Lee visited the scene on Saturday and said in a Twitter post it was a "miracle" that no one was killed. In a letter to President Donald Trump, Lee requested a federal emergency declaration to aid relief efforts.

(Reporting by Harrison McClary in Nashville and Gabriella Borter in Fairfield, Conn.; Additional reporting by Rich McKay in Atlanta and Raphael Satter, Katanga Johnson and Lucia Mutikani in Washington; Writing by Gabriella Borter; Editing by Daniel Wallis, Matthew Lewis and Leslie Adler)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.