Munich shooting: German-Iranian gunman planned attack for a year,chose victims randomly

Munich: The 18 year-old gunman who killed nine people in a shooting spree in Munich had been planning his crime for a year but chose his victims at random, officials said on Sunday.

Representational Image. Reuters

Representational Image. Reuters

"He had been preparing (the shooting) for a year," Bavarian police chief Robert Heimberger told a news conference.

Chief prosecutor Thomas Steinkraus-Koch added that he did not specifically choose his victims.

"It is not the case that he deliberately selected" the people who he shot, he said.

Europe reacted in shock to the third attack on the continent in just over a week, after David Ali Sonboly went on a shooting spree at a shopping centre on Friday before turning the gun on himself.

Officials said yesterday that Sonboly, a German-Iranian student, had a history of mental illness.

Investigators said they saw an "obvious link" between the killings and white supremacist Anders Breivik's massacre of 77 people in Norway exactly five years earlier.

Chancellor Angela Merkel said Munich had suffered a "night of horror"


Updated Date: Jul 24, 2016 20:12 PM

Also Watch

Social Media Star: India’s top lifestyle bloggers share their trade secrets on the latest episode
  • Friday, July 27, 2018 First Day First Showsha — Reviewing Tom Cruise's Mission: Impossible - Fallout in 10 questions
  • Friday, August 10, 2018 It's a Wrap: Fanney Khan stars Anil Kapoor, Rajkummar Rao, Pihu Sand in conversation with Parul Sharma
  • Wednesday, August 15, 2018 Partition's real cost: Sonam Kalra revisits accounts of separation, loss in a spellbinding performance
  • Monday, August 13, 2018 Asian Games 2018: How Indian women's hockey team moved on from heartbreak at London World Cup

Also See