Milan hospital coronavirus squad battles the odds to save a life

By Flavio Lo Scalzo MILAN (Reuters) - There was no room for error at the San Raffaele hospital in Milan on Friday as medical staff moved an 18-year-old patient from the coronavirus ward for urgent tests in another unit. It took an eight-member team, all wearing protective gear, to do it right - holding on to tubes, sensors, braces and other medical gear as the young man held on for dear life.

Reuters March 28, 2020 00:11:27 IST
Milan hospital coronavirus squad battles the odds to save a life

Milan hospital coronavirus squad battles the odds to save a life

By Flavio Lo Scalzo

MILAN (Reuters) - There was no room for error at the San Raffaele hospital in Milan on Friday as medical staff moved an 18-year-old patient from the coronavirus ward for urgent tests in another unit.

It took an eight-member team, all wearing protective gear, to do it right - holding on to tubes, sensors, braces and other medical gear as the young man held on for dear life.

After he was rushed to have a CAT scan, the team rushed back to help the next patient. It was midpoint of another day that started early and would end late.

"Obviously our shifts are incredibly tiring," said Moreno Tresoldi, head of the coronavirus unit.

"We are trying to give ourselves moments where the group can rest a little bit but it isn't easy because we have a great number of beds to deal with," he said.

Lombardy, the wealthiest and most populous region of Italy, has become the single deadliest hotspot for the coronavirus on the planet just now.

More than 5,400 people have died in the region, with the national total across Italy poised to top 9,000.

An extra intensive care unit at San Raffaele was built in just eight days last week to help cope with the large numbers of people desperately in need of hospital care.

The situation in Milan, Lombardy's capital, has become particularly worrying. New infections jumped by more than 800 on Thursday to a total of almost 7,000.

Only the neighbouring provinces of Bergamo and Brescia have a higher number of cases.

"We did not expect a situation like this that would last for so long and be so dramatic," Tresoldi said.

Since many people are obeying a national lockdown to help stem the spread of the disease, Tresoldi said he hoped his exhausted team would start seeing fewer people arriving in the emergency ward.

"At this moment the numbers are stable rather than declining," he said.

Italian medical workers risk their lives daily. The national federation of doctors and surgeons said that as of Thursday, 40 doctors had died, many of them in northern towns and cities.

San Raffaele's new ward was built thanks to money donated to a fundraising campaign on 'gofundme' launched by Italian influencer Chiara Ferragni and her rapper husband Fedez, who both live in Milan.

More than 200,000 people in Italy and abroad donated money for the construction.

(Writing by Philip Pullella and Eleanor Biles; Editing by Gareth Jones)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.