Migrant boy who died in U.S. left Guatemala's migrant heartland
GUATEMALA CITY (Reuters) - An eight-year-old Guatemalan boy who died in U.S. custody this week had trekked to the border with his father from a rural northwestern village, Guatemala's government said on Wednesday, following thousands of others who have made the area a hot spot of migration. Felipe Gomez Alonzo and his father, Agustin, 47, came from the municipality of Nenton in Huehuetenango province, said Guatemalan foreign ministry spokeswoman Marta Larra
GUATEMALA CITY (Reuters) - An eight-year-old Guatemalan boy who died in U.S. custody this week had trekked to the border with his father from a rural northwestern village, Guatemala's government said on Wednesday, following thousands of others who have made the area a hot spot of migration.
Felipe Gomez Alonzo and his father, Agustin, 47, came from the municipality of Nenton in Huehuetenango province, said Guatemalan foreign ministry spokeswoman Marta Larra.
Gomez was the second child to die this month in U.S. custody after crossing from Mexico, following the death in early December of 7-year-old Guatemalan Jakelin Caal.
His parents, who speak a Maya language called Chuj and little Spanish, have requested an autopsy be done as quickly as possible so the body can be repatriated to Guatemala, Larra said. The results are expected in about a week, she added.
Most families in Nenton are of indigenous origin and subsist on corn and bean farming, as well as money sent back from relatives working in the United States and Mexico, according to a local government report.
Huehuetenango sends the highest numbers of migrants abroad from Guatemala every year, Larra said.
The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has not released an official cause of the boy's death.
The Border Patrol will begin conducting secondary medical checks on all children in custody, focusing on those under 10 years old, CBP said. The agency is also reviewing options for releasing migrants to temporary housing and is considering bringing in "surge" medical assistance from other agencies.
The father and son were detained on Dec. 18 in El Paso, Texas, for illegally entering the country, the agency said.
They were given hot food, snacks, juice and water, and two days later, were transferred to the El Paso Border Patrol Station, the CBP said. On Dec. 23, they were transferred to the Alamogordo Border Patrol Station in New Mexico.
On the morning of Dec. 24, an agent noticed the boy "was coughing and appeared to have glossy eyes," the CBP said, and the father and son were transferred to a nearby hospital.
The boy was found to have a fever and cold but was released with a prescription for an antibiotic and Ibuprofen. That evening, Felipe started vomiting, and his father declined medical help because his son had been feeling better, CBP said.
A few hours later, the boy again began feeling nauseous and was taken back to the hospital, where he died just before midnight. CBP previously reported he had died early on Tuesday.
(Reporting by Daina Beth Solomon in Mexico City and Sofia Menchu in San Antonio Secortez, Guatemala and Yeganeh Torbati in Washington)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
U.S. home sales fall as tight supply boosts prices | Reuters
France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.