Mexico: 31 killed, 72 hurt in fireworks market explosion

A massive, multicoloured explosion decimated a fireworks market outside the Mexican capital on Tuesday, leaving it a charred wasteland and killing at least 29 people with dozens more injured.

AFP December 21, 2016 13:34:10 IST
Mexico: 31 killed, 72 hurt in fireworks market explosion

Tultepec, Mexico: A massive explosion gutted Mexico's biggest fireworks market, killing at least 31 people and injuring 72, the authorities said.

The conflagration in the Mexico City suburb of Tultepec set off a quick-fire series of multicolored blasts that sent a vast cloud of smoke billowing over the capital.

The market had been packed with customers buying pyrotechnics for traditional end-of-year festivities. Christmas and New Year parties in many Latin American countries often wrap up with clattering firework blasts.

Mexico 31 killed 72 hurt in fireworks market explosion

Firefighters and rescue personnel stand near a destroyed house after an explosion at the San Pablito fireworks market outside the Mexican capital on Tuesday, in Tultepec, Mexico. Reuters

"You just heard the blast. And everything started to be on fire. People came running out on fire," Walter Garduno said.

"People were alight -- children," he added before trailing off.

From a few kilometers away, the multiple explosions that started at 2:50 pm almost looked festive, alight in blue, red and white. They were anything but.

Of the 31 confirmed dead, "26 (died) at the scene and five in hospitals," local media reported Mexico's chief prosecutor Milenio Alejandro Gomez as saying.

Forensic experts are working on genetic analyses of the bodies because "almost all of them are impossible" to identify, Mexico state's governor Eruviel Avila told the Televisa television network.

At least 72 were wounded, the authorities said. The injured were transported to emergency rooms, and 21 have since been released.

Fire crews struggled for three hours before bringing the blaze under control.

The head of the civil protection service, Luis Felipe Puente, said crews had to wait for all the fireworks to finish exploding before they could extinguish the flames.

"The entire market is gone," he said. It had 300 stands.

Several of the injured were in "delicate condition," he added, saying searches were under way for more casualties in the scorched area that looked like a scene from a post-apocalyptic film, with little left standing in the smoldering ruins.

Homes and vehicles nearby were also severely damaged. In some areas, emergency workers were gently probing for survivors under heaps of charred and twisted roofing material.

People desperately searching for family and friends shouted and gestured to rescuers about where they hoped the missing might be found.

Most of those picked up by rescuers suffered severe burns, many over their entire bodies.

The military, which is in charge of issuing fireworks sales permits, was deployed to help emergency crews transport casualties to hospitals by ambulance and helicopter.

Ambulances, fire trucks, police vehicles and army trucks all crowded the sprawling blast area.

Updated Date:

also read

Explosion in Mangaluru autorickshaw an 'act of terror', says Karnataka DGP
India

Explosion in Mangaluru autorickshaw an 'act of terror', says Karnataka DGP

The explosion in a moving autorickshaw in Mangaluru was an 'act of terror,' Karnataka Director General of Police, Praveen Sood said on Sunday.

Mangaluru blast: Tamil Nadu police questions man whose Aadhar card was used by accused to buy sim card
India

Mangaluru blast: Tamil Nadu police questions man whose Aadhar card was used by accused to buy sim card

An explosion in a moving autorickshaw, near a police station, left the passenger and the driver injured in Mangaluru on Saturday evening. Both have been admitted to the hospital. According to sources, a cooker fitted with a detonator, wires and batteries was used to trigger the blast

Karnataka: Mangaluru blast case likely to be handed over to NIA
India

Karnataka: Mangaluru blast case likely to be handed over to NIA

With Karnataka Police declaring that the blast, which occurred on 19 November evening near a police station, is not accidental but an act of terror, the case would be handover to the NIA anytime