Melbourne to relax third lockdown as no new COVID-19 cases reported in past 24 hours

People will still be required to wear masks and visitors to homes will be limited to five people until 26 February, when the last of the state's 25 active COVID-19 cases will no longer be infectious

The Associated Press February 17, 2021 08:28:19 IST
Melbourne to relax third lockdown as no new COVID-19 cases reported in past 24 hours

Representational image. AP

Melbourne: Melbourne, Australia's second-largest city, will relax its third lockdown on Wednesday after authorities contained the spread of a COVID-19 cluster centered on hotel quarantine.

The Victoria state government has yet to say whether spectators will be allowed to return to the Australian Open tennis tournament under the same conditions as before the five-day lockdown.

Health authorities will soon settle on a final crowd figure for the final days of the tournament, Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews said.

“We'll finish up with crowds at lots of different places,” Andrews said. “We'll finish up with people being able to move freely because this short and sharp circuit-breaker has worked.”

The government has also not yet said when flights will resume.

The lockdown has been enforced across Victoria, a population of 6.5 million people, to prevent the virus spreading from the state capital.

Most restrictions will be lifted from 11:59 p.m. after no new infection was detected in the latest 24-hour period, Andrews said.

Schools and businesses will reopen.

But people will still be required to wear masks and visitors to homes will be limited to five people until 26 February when the last of the state's 25 active COVID-19 cases will no longer be infectious.

All cases have been traced to a Melbourne airport hotel where travelers are quarantined for 14 days on arrival from overseas.

Businesses complained that the lockdown, announced only hours before it took effect at 11:59 p.m. on Friday, disrupted Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day festivities.

All tennis spectators were ejected from Melbourne Park at 11:30 p.m. so that they had time to get home before the stay-home order took effect. Many booed as they left. The Australian Open has continued without spectators since.

Andrews would not guarantee that there would be no further lockdowns announced at short notice.

“I'm not prepared to pretend to the Victorian community that this is over,” Andrews said.

Melbourne emerged from a 111-day lockdown in October following a fresh wave of infections that peaked at 725 cases a day. It was largely blamed on lax infection control procedures at two Melbourne quarantine hotels.

At the time, the rest of Australia was relaxing restrictions due to low case numbers after an initial nationwide lockdown.

Updated Date:

Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply

also read

New COVID-19 variant spreading in New York, found in samples from November 2020, studies claim
World

New COVID-19 variant spreading in New York, found in samples from November 2020, studies claim

By mid-February, the new variant accounted for roughly one in four viral sequences in a database shared by scientists.

Coronavirus variant in Brazil infected many who had already recovered from COVID-19
World

Coronavirus variant in Brazil infected many who had already recovered from COVID-19

Research on the Brazil variant had been slow since its discovery in December, leaving scientists unsure of just how worrisome it is.

'Premature, unrealistic' to think COVID-19 pandemic will end this year: WHO
Health

'Premature, unrealistic' to think COVID-19 pandemic will end this year: WHO

Hospitalisations and deaths can be significantly reduced if the vaccine rollout is successful , said Michael Ryan, director of WHO's emergencies program