Manila: Former dictator Ferdinand Marcos given a hero's burial at the Cemetery of Heroes

'It's not surprising,Ferdinand Marcos flouted the law when he was still alive, and even at his burial, he is still breaking the law,' Gutierrez told AFP.

PTI November 18, 2016 12:46:48 IST
Manila: Former dictator Ferdinand Marcos given a hero's burial at the Cemetery of Heroes

Manila: Ex-Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos was given a hero's burial with military honours, a deeply controversial move three decades after he was ousted in a "People Power" revolution. The ceremony began with a 21-gun salute as soldiers in parade dress and ceremonial rifles stood to attention at the "Cemetery of Heroes" in Manila, after his body was secretly flown to the venue in an apparent effort to avoid protests.

Manila Former dictator Ferdinand Marcos given a heros burial at the Cemetery of Heroes

A file photo of former first lady Imalda Marcos offering flowers on the glass cofin of her husband, late president Ferdinand Marcos, who remains unburied since his death in 1989. Reuters

The Supreme Court said last week that Marcos, who ruled the nation for two decades until millions of people took to the streets in the 1986 military-backed uprising, could be buried at the heroes' cemetery. The decision, endorsing a recommendation from controversial President Rodrigo Duterte, outraged many opponents of the Marcos regime who said it would whitewash the dictator's many crimes.

Marcos died in 1989 in the US. His body was brought back in 1993 and later put on display in his home city of Batac.

The surprise move by the Marcos family and the government to bury him so quickly after the Supreme Court verdict, with appeals still to be heard, caused further outrage. Barry Gutierrez, counsel for the anti-Marcos court petitioners, said the burial was illegal because of the outstanding appeals.

"It's not really surprising that this is happening. Marcos flouted the law when he was still alive, and even at his burial, he is still breaking the law," Gutierrez told AFP. Police only announced that Marcos's body had been flown to the cemetery shortly before the ceremony began, leaving opponents who had been planning rallies flat-footed. "We are shocked and angered," Gutierrez said.

Thousands of riot police and soldiers guarded the perimeter of the cemetery, but there were no protesters. Journalists who rushed to the cemetery were barred from entering. However, reporters were able to view the ceremony with long camera lenses from outside.

Marcos ruled the Philippines for two decades until forced into US exile by the "People Power" revolution, a largely peaceful event that inspired democracy movements throughout Asia and around the world. Marcos, his infamously flamboyant wife Imelda, and their cronies plundered up to $10 billion from state coffers during his rule, according to government investigators and historians.

The dictator also oversaw widespread human rights abuses to maintain his control of the country and enable his plundering, with thousands of people killed and tortured, previous Philippine governments said. Anti-corruption watchdog Transparency International in 2004 named Marcos the second most corrupt leader of all time, behind Indonesian dictator Suharto.

Updated Date:

also read

Philippines mayor shot dead outside govt office; 12th official to be killed since the start of country's anti-drug campaign
World

Philippines mayor shot dead outside govt office; 12th official to be killed since the start of country's anti-drug campaign

Nueva Ecija Mayor became the 12th elected local official murdered since President Rodrigo Duterte unleashed a deadly anti-narcotics campaign.

Philippines blast injures 14; no link to Asean leaders meet say cops
World

Philippines blast injures 14; no link to Asean leaders meet say cops

Manila: Fourteen people were wounded in a pipe bomb blast in Manila, Philippine police said Saturday, but authorities dismissed any link to an Asian leaders' meeting under way in the capital.

Manila casino attack: Philippine authorities hunt for clues to identify gunman
World

Manila casino attack: Philippine authorities hunt for clues to identify gunman

Philippine authorities said on Saturday they still did not know the identity of the gunman who killed 37 people when he torched a casino in Manila.