Lebanese judge charges PM, ex-ministers over Beirut port blast

BEIRUT (Reuters) - The judge investigating the Beirut port blast charged caretaker Prime Minister Hassan Diab and three former ministers with negligence over the explosion that killed 200 people and devastated the Lebanese capital. Diab, whose cabinet resigned over the August blast after taking office in early 2020, said his conscience was clear and accused the judge of breaching the constitution. Four months after one of the largest non-nuclear explosions on record, which injured thousands of people, victims are still waiting for the result of the investigation

Reuters December 11, 2020 00:11:11 IST
Lebanese judge charges PM, ex-ministers over Beirut port blast

Lebanese judge charges PM exministers over Beirut port blast

BEIRUT (Reuters) - The judge investigating the Beirut port blast charged caretaker Prime Minister Hassan Diab and three former ministers with negligence over the explosion that killed 200 people and devastated the Lebanese capital.

Diab, whose cabinet resigned over the August blast after taking office in early 2020, said his conscience was clear and accused the judge of breaching the constitution.

Four months after one of the largest non-nuclear explosions on record, which injured thousands of people, victims are still waiting for the result of the investigation. Lebanese leaders had promised it would come within days of the blast.

The explosion added to the challenges facing Lebanon, which has been crushed by a mountain of debt after decades of state waste and corruption, leading to its worst crisis since the 1975-1990 civil war.

Lebanon's sectarian leaders are still haggling over who will be in the new cabinet.

Judge Fadi Sawan called Diab and the three former ministers in for questioning "as defendants" next week, state news agency NNA said on Thursday.

The others charged were former finance minister Ali Hassan Khalil, the top aide to Lebanon's influential Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, as well as former public works ministers Ghazi Zeaiter and Youssef Finianos, the agency said.

DIVIDED OPINION

Zeaiter, who said he would comment once he was officially informed of the charges, headed the public works ministry in 2014, soon after the arrival in Beirut port of the Rhosus ship that was carrying tonnes of ammonium nitrate.

The highly explosive chemicals were stored for years in the port, which lies in the heart of the capital.

There was no immediate comment from Khalil and Finianos.

Lawyers are divided in Lebanon about whether former or current ministers enjoy immunity in this probe.

Thursday's move showed Sawan sided with those saying immunity does not apply in this case, said Nizar Saghieh, head of The Legal Agenda, a research and advocacy organisation.

"This is a positive thing, meaning it has opened the door to bringing the ministers to account," he said.

A senior judicial source said Sawan did not have the power to indict lawmakers and ministers, adding that such action was the jurisdiction of a special court, which includes seven lawmakers and eight judges.

Sawan sent a letter last month asking parliament to probe 10 former ministers. When asked about the letter, parliament speaker Berri said "we have done what needs to be done and replied to him" without elaborating.

Several officials have been detained in connection with the blast, including the port and customs chiefs, and dozens have testified as witnesses, including Diab and former ministers.

But many Lebanese remain sceptical that senior politicians will be held to account, fearing the truth behind events leading up to the blast will never emerge from a system riven by corruption.

(Reporting by Ellen Francis, Tom Perry and Laila Bassam; Writing by Ellen Francis; Editing by Alison Williams and Edmund Blair)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.