Kremlin denies French election meddling, Macron camp renews charges | Reuters

MOSCOW/PARIS The Kremlin denied on Tuesday that it was behind media and internet attacks on the campaign of French presidential frontrunner Emmanuel Macron though his camp renewed the charges against Russian media and a hackers' group operating in Ukraine.Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, replying to a question on a daily conference call, said charges made by Macron's party chief, Richard Ferrand, were absurd.'We didn't have, and do not have, any intention of interfering in the internal affairs of other countries, or in their electoral processes in particular,' Peskov told reporters.'That there is a hysterical anti-(President Vladimir) Putin campaign in certain countries abroad is an obvious fact.'Ferrand said on Monday that the French centrist politician, who is now seen by opinion polls as the favourite to win election in May, had become a 'fake news' target of Russian media and that his campaign was facing thousands of internet attacks.With the political air in France highly-charged in the run-up to the May election, the French government has declined to point the finger at anyone despite high-level concerns of external meddling in campaigning.An official French source said, however, that the question of cyber threats were being taken seriously and would be the focus of a defence council meeting of national security chiefs under President Francois Hollande.The source gave no date for this meeting though the satirical weekly le Canard Enchaine said on Tuesday that it had been fixed for late next week.

Reuters February 15, 2017 00:01:56 IST
Kremlin denies French election meddling, Macron camp renews charges
| Reuters

Kremlin denies French election meddling Macron camp renews charges
 Reuters

MOSCOW/PARIS The Kremlin denied on Tuesday that it was behind media and internet attacks on the campaign of French presidential frontrunner Emmanuel Macron though his camp renewed the charges against Russian media and a hackers' group operating in Ukraine.Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, replying to a question on a daily conference call, said charges made by Macron's party chief, Richard Ferrand, were absurd."We didn't have, and do not have, any intention of interfering in the internal affairs of other countries, or in their electoral processes in particular," Peskov told reporters."That there is a hysterical anti-(President Vladimir) Putin campaign in certain countries abroad is an obvious fact."Ferrand said on Monday that the French centrist politician, who is now seen by opinion polls as the favourite to win election in May, had become a "fake news" target of Russian media and that his campaign was facing thousands of internet attacks.With the political air in France highly-charged in the run-up to the May election, the French government has declined to point the finger at anyone despite high-level concerns of external meddling in campaigning.An official French source said, however, that the question of cyber threats were being taken seriously and would be the focus of a defence council meeting of national security chiefs under President Francois Hollande.The source gave no date for this meeting though the satirical weekly le Canard Enchaine said on Tuesday that it had been fixed for late next week.

Ferrand said Moscow looked favourably on the policies of far-right leader Marine Le Pen and centre-right candidate Francois Fillon - both election rivals of Macron - and both had been "mysteriously spared" from Russian media criticism.Macron's strong pro-Europe stance was not to Russia's liking however, he said.Le Pen, who heads the National Front and is Macron's closest competitor in the race for the Elysee, wants to take France out of the European Union and supports Russian policy on Ukraine.

On Tuesday Ferrand renewed those charges saying that the databases and e-mail boxes of Macron's En Marche! (Onwards) party were under attack."If these attacks succeeded, the campaign of En Marche would become extremely difficult, if not impossible," Ferrand said in Le Monde online.He said about half of these thousands of attacks came mainly from Ukraine and had been organised and coordinated by a "structured group" and not by lone hackers."We are in the presence of an orchestrated attempt by a foreign power to destabilise a presidential election candidate," Ferrand said and called on the French government again to take steps to prevent foreign meddling in the French election campaign.

He again pointed the finger at Russian state-controlled media Russia Today and Sputnik saying they were spreading "the most defamatory" rumours about Macron, including relating to his private life and the financing of his campaign.Both Russia Today and Sputnik have denied spreading 'fake news' about Macron and say Ferrand's allegations are unfounded.Sputnik, in a comment on Tuesday, said Ferrand's accusations were false and lacked any evidence, and represented an attempt at spinning public opinion."By citing various opinions expressed by people involved in the election campaign, Sputnik always covers events as they are," it said. (Reporting by Alessandra Prentice and Alexander Winning in Moscow and Marine Pennetier and Henri-Pierre Andre in Paris; Writing by Richard Balmforth, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.