John F Kennedy assassination: National archives releases fourth batch of classified records, 13,200 documents released
The National Archives released more than 13,200 records — some hundreds of pages long — related to the assassination of President John F Kennedy in 1963.
Washington: The National Archives on Thursday released more than 13,200 records — some hundreds of pages long — related to the assassination of President John F Kennedy in 1963.
It's the fourth release so far this year.
Most of the collection comprising about 5 million pages of records has been released to the public, but some documents have been withheld over the years to protect individuals, intelligence sources and methods and national security.
The latest documents are being released according to a law that President George HW Bush signed on 26 Octomber, 1992. That law required all records related to the assassination be released within 25 years, unless the president says doing so would harm intelligence, law enforcement, military operations or foreign relations.
Last month, on the 25-year deadline, President Donald Trump wrote in a memorandum that he had "no choice" but to agree to requests from some government agencies to continue withholding certain information.
Trump, however, directed agencies to again review each of their redactions during the next 180 days. He said agency heads needed to be extremely circumspect in recommending that information still needed to be withheld from the public.
Government agencies have until March to tell the National Archives why any part of their records should still be redacted. The records included in this latest public release have not yet been re-reviewed by the agencies as part of that process.
In remarks to reporters ahead of a US Olympic team media event, USOPC president Susanne Lyons said the organisation firmly believed that boycotts were ineffective.
Kinston Police chief Tim Dilday said officers were called to a business after an employee, who alleged the man had threatened her, tripped a silent alarm
As Joe Biden announces withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan, a look at 20 years of conflict and its remnants
There were 2,500 to 3,000 US troops in Afghanistan when Biden took office, the smallest number since early in the war. The number peaked at 1,00,000 during President Barack Obama’s first term.