Jim Mattis to Turkey: US will take back arms provided to Syrian Kurds after recapturing Raqqa
Turkish officials said that US defense secretary Jim Mattis said that arms provided to Syrian Kurdish fighters would be taken back once IS militants are ousted from Raqqa.
Ankara: Turkish officials said on Thursday that US defense secretary Jim Mattis has written to his Turkish counterpart, reassuring him that arms provided to Syrian Kurdish fighters would be taken back once Islamic State militants are ousted from their main stronghold in Syria, the city of Raqqa.
Turkish defense ministry officials said in a statement that Mattis also reassured defense minister Fikri Isik that the United States would regularly provide Turkey with a list of arms provided to the fighters while US military advisers on the field would ensure that the arms don't go outside of the Syria battle zones.
A US decision to launch an offensive to capture Raqqa in partnership with the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces has complicated relations with Ankara, which views the group's Kurdish fighters as an extension of an insurgent Kurdish terror group operating in Turkey.
Ankara fears arms provided to the Kurdish fighters will end up in the hands of the insurgents in Turkey and has threatened to respond to threats.
The officials said Mattis told Isik in the letter that 80 percent of the force which would capture Raqqa would be made up of Arabs and that an Arab force would hold the city.
If confirmed, Mattis' statement on the weapons being taken back once the Raqqa fight is over conflict with recent comments made by officials of the US-led coalition against IS.
The coalition's spokesman at the time, colonel John Dorrian, said last month that the weapons supplied to the Kurds will not be reclaimed by the US after the specific missions are completed, but that the US will "carefully monitor" where and how they are used.
Meanwhile, French president Emmanuel Macron has said that France is no longer pushing for the departure of Syrian president Bashar Assad, in a shift in French policy throughout the Syrian war.
Macron said he wants to work more closely with Russia for a solution in Syria and says foreign powers were too focused on Assad as a person.
"For a long time we were blocked on the persona of Bashar Assad," Macron said in an interview with eight European newspapers published on Thursday. "Bashar is not our enemy, he is the enemy of the Syrian people," he said.
Macron also said that foreign powers "collectively committed an error" in focusing on a military solution in Syria. "The new outlook I have on this issue is that I haven't stated that Bashar Assad's departure is a necessary condition for everything. Because no one has shown me a legitimate successor," he said.
Macron's predecessors were among the most vocal Assad opponents.
However, Macron warned France would attack Syria if the government uses chemical weapons. French warplanes are already targeting Islamic State extremists in Syria.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
At a congressional hearing on Wednesday, Democrats on the House Foreign Affairs Committee accused the state department’s top lawyer and the assistant secretary overseeing weapons sales of negligence on civilian deaths and of covering up the legal risks.
The United States remains the world's worst-affected country, with deaths exceeding 190,000 and cases exceeding 6.3 million. Brazil is in second place in terms of deaths, but India is second in terms of total cases recorded
SAI has approved Vikas' training in the US till 30 November and also sanctioned Rs 17.5 lakh for the stint.