Jamal Khashoggi killing: Saudi foreign minister rejects CIA's claim that crown prince gave order to kill journalist

News outlets, including Reuters, reported the CIA’s finding over the weekend in a case that has sparked an international outcry against the world’s top oil exporter. This was the most definitive US assessment to date tying Saudi Arabia’s de facto ruler directly to the Khashoggi's killing and contradicted Saudi government assertions that he was not involved.

Reuters November 20, 2018 09:38:07 IST
Jamal Khashoggi killing: Saudi foreign minister rejects CIA's claim that crown prince gave order to kill journalist

Cairo: Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister said on Tuesday that claims, including by the CIA, that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman gave the order to kill journalist Jamal Khashoggi were false, according to an Arabic-language newspaper interview.

News outlets, including Reuters, reported the CIA’s finding over the weekend in a case that has sparked an international outcry against the world’s top oil exporter. This was the most definitive US assessment to date tying Saudi Arabia’s de facto ruler directly to the killing and contradicted Saudi government assertions that he was not involved.

Jamal Khashoggi killing Saudi foreign minister rejects CIAs claim that crown prince gave order to kill journalist

File image of Saudi Arabia's foreign minister Adel al-Jubeir (R). AP

“We in the kingdom know that such allegations about the crown prince have no basis in truth and we categorically reject them, whether through leaks or not,” Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir was quoted as saying in Saudi-owned Al Sharq Al Awsat newspaper in the first Saudi official comment on the CIA report. “They are leaks that have not been officially announced, and I have noticed that they are based on an assessment, not conclusive evidence,” he added.

A source familiar with the CIA’s assessment said it was based largely on circumstantial evidence relating to the prince’s central role in running the Saudi government.

Jubeir was also asked about comments by Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan that the kill order came from the highest level of the Saudi leadership but probably not King Salman, which has put the spotlight instead on the 33-year-old crown prince.

“We have already asked the Turkish authorities at the highest level about the meaning of these comments, and they confirmed to us categorically that the crown prince is not meant by these comments,” he said.

“The leadership of the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, represented by the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques (the king) and the crown prince, is a red line, and we will not permit attempts to harm or undermine them,” he added.

Khashoggi, a Washington Post contributor and one-time royal insider who had been critical of the crown prince recently, was killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on 2 October. Last week, after offering numerous contradictory explanations for Khashoggi’s disappearance, Riyadh said he had been killed and his body dismembered when “negotiations” to convince him to return to Saudi Arabia failed.

Updated Date:

also read

BTS condemns anti-Asian racism in the US, issues statement saying they've faced it personally
Entertainment

BTS condemns anti-Asian racism in the US, issues statement saying they've faced it personally

In a public statement, BTS said their own painful encounters with racism included “expletives” and being “mocked for the way” they look

FIFA World Cup 2022 Qualifiers: Cristiano Ronaldo scores as Portugal beat Luxembourg; Belgium, Dutch score big wins
Sports

FIFA World Cup 2022 Qualifiers: Cristiano Ronaldo scores as Portugal beat Luxembourg; Belgium, Dutch score big wins

Juventus forward Ronaldo bagged his 103rd international goal five minutes after the break to stop his side falling foul of a Luxembourg team whose recent performances have defied their small status and tiny population.

US Supreme court sides with Facebook in a lawsuit over unwanted text notifications
News & Analysis

US Supreme court sides with Facebook in a lawsuit over unwanted text notifications

A US man filed a case against Facebook after he received notifications of an attempted login to his account even though he never had an accounts.