Ivory Coast says presidential candidate Soro plotted a coup

By Ange Aboa ABIDJAN (Reuters) - Guillaume Soro, a former rebel leader in Ivory Coast and a candidate in next year's presidential election, could face life in prison over an alleged coup plot that involved amassing weapons, the country's public prosecutor said on Thursday.

Reuters December 27, 2019 02:11:15 IST
Ivory Coast says presidential candidate Soro plotted a coup

Ivory Coast says presidential candidate Soro plotted a coup

By Ange Aboa

ABIDJAN (Reuters) - Guillaume Soro, a former rebel leader in Ivory Coast and a candidate in next year's presidential election, could face life in prison over an alleged coup plot that involved amassing weapons, the country's public prosecutor said on Thursday.

The Ivorian authorities issued an arrest warrant for Soro on Monday, prompting him to call off a planned homecoming after months overseas.

The warrant is likely to increase tensions ahead of an October 2020 election that is seen as a test of Ivory Coast's stability after two civil wars since the turn of the century.

During a news conference, Prosecutor Richard Adou played a recording made by the Ivorian intelligence services in which Soro could allegedly be heard planning a coup.

"The penalty for attempting a plot against state security is a life sentence," Adou said, adding that the investigation was ongoing.

Soro's lawyer and spokeswoman Affoussy Bamba Lamine did not deny the authenticity of the recording presented by prosecutors but said it was from 2017 and incomplete. She said in a video posted on Facebook on Thursday that Soro's team would release a full version of the audio soon.

Soro is believed to be in Europe although his exact whereabouts are unclear. He has denounced the case against him as being politically motivated.

"It is only in a dictatorship that an arrest warrant is issued against an electoral candidate," he said on Twitter on Wednesday.

So far, more than 15 people have been arrested in connection with the investigation, which includes charges of money-laundering and amassing illegal weapons, the prosecutor said.

"Searches of homes of the accused parties, including Soro, uncovered arms such as anti-tank missiles, RPGs (rocket-propelled grenades), Kalashnikovs, and ammunition."

Soro, 47, led the rebels who failed to oust then-president Laurent Gbagbo in 2002. Soro's forces installed President Alassane Ouattara during a civil war that followed the 2010 election, in which both Gbagbo and Ouattara claimed victory.

Ouattara won re-election in 2015 but has given mixed signals about whether he will seek a third term, adding to uncertainty about the vote in Francophone West Africa's largest economy.

Soro retains the loyalty of many former rebel commanders who hold senior positions in the army. He served for several years as speaker of the National Assembly but has since fallen out with Ouattara.

(Writing by Alessandra Prentice; Editing by David Clarke)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Biden aide Blinken voices concern about rights group in Egypt
World

Biden aide Blinken voices concern about rights group in Egypt

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A top adviser to President-elect Joe Biden, who has pledged a renewed U.S.

Pence urges Georgia Republicans to turn out in final Senate battleground
World

Pence urges Georgia Republicans to turn out in final Senate battleground

By Jeff Mason GAINESVILLE, Ga. (Reuters) - Vice President Mike Pence charged into the final battle for control of the U.S. Senate on Friday, urging Republican voters in Georgia to come out in force for Senators David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler in two hotly contested Jan.

Trudeau warns Canada's hospitals could be swamped, Toronto to enter COVID-19 lockdown
World

Trudeau warns Canada's hospitals could be swamped, Toronto to enter COVID-19 lockdown

By David Ljunggren and Julie Gordon OTTAWA (Reuters) - Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Friday that Canada's hospital system could be overwhelmed by a possible quadrupling of new COVID-19 cases by year end as its biggest city Toronto prepared to impose a lockdown. Trudeau implored Canadians to stay home as much as possible as a second wave of the novel coronavirus rips across the country, forcing several of the 10 provinces to reimpose curbs on movement and businesses