Italy's former PM Berlusconi in 'good health' after heart problems
MILAN (Reuters) - Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said he was in 'good health' after being admitted to hospital in Monaco on Thursday because of heart problems.
MILAN (Reuters) - Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said he was in "good health" after being admitted to hospital in Monaco on Thursday because of heart problems.
Berlusconi, 84, underwent major heart surgery in 2016 and has also survived prostate cancer. Last September, he was hospitalised after contracting coronavirus, "the most dangerous challenge" of his life, he told reporters.
"I am in good health. Due to the prudence of my doctors I had to go to hospital for some checks," he said in a statement.
Berlusconi remains head of the opposition Forza Italia party. His illness comes as Italy has been hit by political chaos after a junior coalition party quit the government, depriving it of a majority in parliament.
"My activities continue as usual, in close contact with my staff at this very difficult time for the country," Berlusconi said.
Newspapers have speculated that some Forza Italia lawmakers might agree to desert party ranks and help prop up Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte to prevent an early election.
Alberto Zangrillo, the media tycoon's personal doctor, said he saw Berlusconi on Monday and decided to transfer him to a nearby hospital because he did not think it prudent to bring him to Italy, which is some 15 km (10 miles) from the city-state.
Berlusconi has spent much of his time recuperating from coronavirus at his daughter Marina's house in Provence, southeast France.
Shares in Mediaset, the broadcaster controlled by the Berlusconi family, jumped as much as 2.9% on Thursday after initial reports of his latest health scare.
Traders cited speculation about potential ownership changes at the group if Berlusconi's condition worsened.
Mediaset has been at the centre of a legal battle between Berlusconi's family holding company Fininvest and its second-largest shareholder, French media giant Vivendi, over the past five years.
(Reporting by Elvira Pollina and Emilio Parodi; Writing by Crispian Balmer and Angelo Amante; Editing by Hugh Lawson)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.