Islamic State Yemen suicide bomber kills 25 police recruits- medics | Reuters

ADEN A suicide bomber killed at least 25 new recruits inside a police compound in the southern Yemeni city of Mukalla on Sunday in an attack claimed by Islamic State, medical and security sources said. The victims were queuing up to register when the bomb, which wounded 25 others, went off, the sources said

Reuters May 15, 2016 16:00:14 IST
Islamic State Yemen suicide bomber kills 25 police recruits- medics
| Reuters

Islamic State Yemen suicide bomber kills 25 police recruits medics
 Reuters

ADEN A suicide bomber killed at least 25 new recruits inside a police compound in the southern Yemeni city of Mukalla on Sunday in an attack claimed by Islamic State, medical and security sources said.

The victims were queuing up to register when the bomb, which wounded 25 others, went off, the sources said.

It was the second deadly blast in four days to hit the city, a hub for al Qaeda before the militant group was pushed out last month in an offensive by Yemeni troops backed by a Saudi-led coalition.

In a message on its online news agency Amaq, Islamic State said Sunday's attacker was a "martrydom-seeker" who had detonated his explosive belt. It said around 40 died in the attack.

The city's security director, Mubarak al-Awthaban, who was at a nearby office when the suicide bomber struck the Fowa camp in the southern part of Mukalla, survived, security sources said.

Before being forced out, al Qaeda militants took advantage of more than a year of war between the Iran-allied Houthis and supporters of the Saudi-backed President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to carve out a mini-state stretching across much of the southern coast, including Mukalla.

Their militant rivals in Yemen's branch of Islamic State have carried out a series of suicide attacks on all parties to Yemen's tangled conflict.

The growing Islamist militant threat has led the Houthis and the Yemeni government to embark on peace talks now under way in Kuwait.

Saudi Arabia, the UAE and other Arab countries intervened in the war in March 2015 in support of the government, which had been swept into exile by the Houthis.

Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) and Islamic State view the Arab coalition as a pawn of the West and see the Shi'ite Muslim Houthis as apostates deserving death.

The U.S. military announced last week it had deployed a small number of personnel to Yemen to aid in the fight against AQAP, its first troop presence in the country since the Houthi takeover.

(Reporting by Mohammed Mukhashaf; Writing by Noah Browning and Sami Aboudi, editing by John Stonestreet)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

also read

France sends underwater probes to EgyptAir search zone
| Reuters
World

France sends underwater probes to EgyptAir search zone | Reuters

CAIRO/PARIS A French naval vessel was en route to the eastern Mediterranean on Thursday to join the hunt for black boxes from a crashed EgyptAir jet, equipped with three specialist probes from a French company recruited to accelerate the search. France's BEA air crash investigation agency said French naval survey vessel Laplace had left Corsica earlier on Thursday and was heading toward the search zone north of the Egyptian port of Alexandria, where it would begin operations within days. A week after the Airbus A320 crashed with 66 people on board, including 30 Egyptians and 15 from France, investigators have no clear picture of its final moments.

Venezuela's top court bans media's publishing videos of lynchings
| Reuters
World

Venezuela's top court bans media's publishing videos of lynchings | Reuters

CARACAS - Venezuela's Supreme Court on Wednesday banned media from publishing videos of lynchings, saying they create "anxiety and uncertainty" in a country ravaged by violent crime and an economic crisis. The OPEC nation's society is in upheaval amid triple-digit inflation, a deep recession and brutal shortages of food and medicine.

Oil pares losses after report OPEC likely to consider output cap
| Reuters
Fwire

Oil pares losses after report OPEC likely to consider output cap | Reuters

NEW YORK Oil prices were down slightly on Wednesday, erasing most of the day's losses, after OPEC sources said the group was likely to consider a new output ceiling at its forthcoming meeting, although many in the market appeared skeptical. Reuters cited four OPEC sources as saying the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries was likely to consider a production cap at its Thursday meeting. Three sources said the ceiling needs to be set substantially above 30 million barrels per day, and lengthy discussions may be required.