Islamic State group claims responsibility for ambush on Egypt army

Cairo: The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the roadside bombing of an army convoy in the turbulent northern part of the Sinai Peninsula a day earlier that killed at least four.

Representational image. Reuters

Representational image. Reuters

In a statement distributed by IS sympathizers on social media on Thursday, the group said that it had killed and wounded more than 20 soldiers including senior officers. The Associated Press could not independently verify the claim, but its design and logo resembled previous IS claims.

Egyptian security and health officials had said the attack, just south of the coastal city of el-Arish, killed an army colonel and three soldiers and wounded another 12 soldiers, several of whom were in critical condition. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

AP


Updated Date: Jan 28, 2016 17:58 PM

Also Watch

Watch: The true stories from Dharavi that inspired Rajinikanth's Kaala
  • Thursday, March 8, 2018 Watch: Cyrus Khan talks about Parkour, jumping across walls and why he hates sitting
  • Thursday, May 31, 2018 Unwind: India's basketball sensation Amjyot Singh has his eyes set on becoming an NBA regular
  • Monday, May 28, 2018 First Day First Showsha — Review of Solo: A Star Wars Story in 10 questions
  • Saturday, May 19, 2018 Social Media Star: Rajkummar Rao and Bhuvan Bam open up about selfie culture, online trolls

Also See