Islamic State claims responsibility for attack on central Libyan town
BENGHAZI, Libya (Reuters) - At least four people were killed and 10 kidnapped when suspected Islamic State militants attacked a town in central Libya, military officials said on Monday. The raid on the desert oasis town of al-Foqha south of Jufra late on Sunday lasted several hours, during which the insurgents set local government and security offices on fire, a military official who asked not to be named said.
BENGHAZI, Libya (Reuters) - At least four people were killed and 10 kidnapped when suspected Islamic State militants attacked a town in central Libya, military officials said on Monday.
The raid on the desert oasis town of al-Foqha south of Jufra late on Sunday lasted several hours, during which the insurgents set local government and security offices on fire, a military official who asked not to be named said.
Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack on Monday, according to a statement issued by its Amaq news agency.
Ten people were presumed to have been kidnapped, said Ahmed Mismari, spokesman for the Libya National Army (LNA) of Khalifa Haftar, which controls much of eastern Libya.
Ismail al-Sharif, a lawmaker in the eastern-based House of Representatives, said the attack had probably come as revenge because some town youths had helped catch a local Islamic State leader this month. Further details of that incident were not immediately available.
The town lies in an area marked by poor security deep in the desert where Islamic State withdrew after losing its stronghold Sirte on the central coast in December 2016.
The LNA had recently boosted its presence in the area, moving into al-Foqha as part of efforts to push south. The attackers had left after a LNA unit arrived, Mismari said.
The North African oil producer has two governments. One is allied to commander Khalifa Haftar and based in the east. The other is backed by the United Nations and based in Tripoli in the west.
Suspected Islamic State fighters have also repeatedly attacked oil facilities in the central Libyan desert.
(Reporting by Ayman al-Warfalli; additional reporting Omar Fahmy and Nayera Abdallah,; Writing by Ulf Laessing; Editing by Matthew Mpoke Bigg)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.