Incoming Mexican foreign minister says Trump tweets not surprising
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Incoming Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard said on Monday he was not surprised about tweets from U.S. President Donald Trump raising an alarm over a caravan of migrants in Mexico and linked the comments to upcoming U.S.
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Incoming Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard said on Monday he was not surprised about tweets from U.S. President Donald Trump raising an alarm over a caravan of migrants in Mexico and linked the comments to upcoming U.S. elections.
Ebrard, who will take up his post when president-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador is sworn in Dec. 1, also told reporters the new government would seek to stem future caravans by offering many more work visas to people from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador.
Trump on Monday termed the caravan bound for the United States a national emergency as he sought to boost his party's chances in the Nov. 6 congressional elections.
"The tweets we've been seeing lately do not surprise me, they do not surprise the government. It's very close to the mid-term elections in the United States," Ebrard said after talks with Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland in Ottawa.
Ebrard, who spoke through an interpreter, did not respond directly when asked what the new government would do about the caravan. Instead, he promised substantial changes to Mexico's immigration policy.
"There are going to be many more work visas. We are going to invest in Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador. We are working closely with them on that, and we are going invest significantly in the south of Mexico," he said.
Ebrard will take up his post on Dec. 1 when president-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador is sworn in.
(Reporting by David Ljunggren; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
LONDON (Reuters) - Prince Harry and his wife Meghan have refunded British taxpayers 2.4 million pounds ($3.2 million), the cost of renovating their UK home, in line with a commitment they made after announcing in January they would step back from royal duties. The refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, a house within the grounds of Queen Elizabeth's Windsor Castle west of London, had been criticised by some British media as too expensive. The repayment comes as Harry and Meghan, an American former actress, seek to forge new careers for themselves and attain greater financial independence.
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Biotech firm BioNTech said on Monday it widened an ongoing pivotal global study of its COVID-19 vaccine candidate to include testing in its home country of Germany.
COPENHAGEN (Reuters) - A rapid switch to electric cars to meet Denmark's ambitious climate targets will leave a massive gap in its finances, a government commission said on Monday.