In wake of Christchurch mosque attacks, dozens of New Zealanders give up weapons as gun buyback scheme gets underway

New Zealanders handed in their firearms as a gun buyback scheme went into operation aimed at ridding the country of semi-automatic weapons in the wake of the Christchurch mosque attacks.

Agence France-Presse July 13, 2019 11:55:22 IST
In wake of Christchurch mosque attacks, dozens of New Zealanders give up weapons as gun buyback scheme gets underway
  • New Zealanders handed in their firearms as a gun buyback scheme went into operation aimed at ridding the country of semi-automatic weapons in the wake of the Christchurch mosque attacks

  • The first of more than 250 collections to be held nationwide was held in Christchurch where 51 Muslim worshippers were gunned down while at prayer

  • Police Minister Stuart Nash said the one objective was to 'remove the most dangerous weapons from circulation'

Christchurch: Dozens of New Zealanders handed in their firearms on Saturday as a gun buyback scheme went into operation aimed at ridding the country of semi-automatic weapons in the wake of the Christchurch mosque attacks. The first of more than 250 collections to be held nationwide was held in Christchurch where 51 Muslim worshippers were gunned down while at prayer less than four months ago.

In wake of Christchurch mosque attacks dozens of New Zealanders give up weapons as gun buyback scheme gets underway

New Zealand mosque terror attack shooter Brenton Tarrant. AP

The government, with support from opposition parties, immediately rushed through legislation to tighten New Zealand's gun laws. Police Minister Stuart Nash said the one objective was to "remove the most dangerous weapons from circulation".

With armed police monitoring the handover, 68 firearms owners handed in 97 weapons and 94 parts and accessories in the first two hours. The regional police commander Mike Johnson said 903 gun owners in the Canterbury area had registered 1,415 firearms to be handed in. "Police recognise that this is a big change for the law-abiding firearms community and we are hearing really positive feedback from people that they are finding the process works well for them", Johnson said.

Ray Berard, who moved to New Zealand from Canada 25 years ago, handed in an assault rifle and told reporters he had been in the Canadian army and on the Canada shooting team but believed there was no place for military-style firearms in modern society. "My wife is working as one of the project directors on the hospital rebuild and we were there on the day of the shooting and watched the 35-odd hearses leave the next day," he said. He added that "a person can do a lot of damage to a lot of people... if you are mentally unwell and you have a weapon that can shoot 100 rounds a minute."

Australian-born Brenton Tarrant has been charged with the killings and is alleged to have used an arsenal of five weapons, including two military-style semi-automatic rifles (MSSAs), in the attacks on two mosques. He has pleaded not guilty to terrorism charges, as well as 51 counts of murder and 40 of attempted murder.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

New Zealand vs Pakistan: Kyle Jamieson’s 11-for humbles visitors in second Test as Kiwis claim No 1 Test ranking
First Cricket News

New Zealand vs Pakistan: Kyle Jamieson’s 11-for humbles visitors in second Test as Kiwis claim No 1 Test ranking

Paceman Kyle Jamieson continued an extraordinary start to his Test career, taking 6-48 as New Zealand beat Pakistan by an innings and 176 runs in the second Test Wednesday to claim their fourth win in four Tests at home this summer.

Pakistan coach Misbah-ul-Haq under pressure after defeat against New Zealand, to meet with PCB on Tuesday
First Cricket News

Pakistan coach Misbah-ul-Haq under pressure after defeat against New Zealand, to meet with PCB on Tuesday

Misbah, who has lost all three away Test series in his 15 months in charge, blamed an extended stay in New Zealand coronavirus isolation for the latest failure.

Pakistan head coach Misbah ul Haq feels criticism is justified after 0-2 Test series loss to New Zealand
First Cricket News

Pakistan head coach Misbah ul Haq feels criticism is justified after 0-2 Test series loss to New Zealand

Pakistan head coach Misbah ul Haq feels his struggling team deserves every bit of the criticism that is being thrown at it after a 0-2 loss to New Zealand in the just-concluded away Test series.