I take full responsibility: Obama apologises for CIA drone strike that killed US, Italian hostages

An American and an Italian held hostage by al-Qaida, as well as two Americans working with the militant group, were inadvertently killed by CIA drone strikes early this year, the government revealed Thursday.

hidden April 24, 2015 08:54:11 IST
I take full responsibility: Obama apologises for CIA drone strike that killed US, Italian hostages

Washington: An American and an Italian held hostage by al-Qaeda, as well as two Americans working with the militant group, were inadvertently killed by CIA drone strikes early this year, the government revealed Thursday.

President Barack Obama said he took full responsibility for the counterterror missions and offered his "grief and condolences" to the families of the hostages, Warren Weinsteinand Giovanni Lo Porto.

"I profoundly regret what happened. On behalf of the United States government, I offer our deepest apologies to the families," Obama told reporters at the White House.

I take full responsibility Obama apologises for CIA drone strike that killed US Italian hostages

Barack Obama in a file photo. AFP

Obama defended the legality of the January drone strike that killed the hostages and said there had been no evidence that the two men were present at what the US had determined was an al-Qaeda compound in Pakistan.

"Based on the intelligence that we had obtained at the time, including hundreds of hours of surveillance, we believed that this was an al-Qaeda compound, that no civilians were present and that capturing these terrorists was not possible," Obama said at the White House. "And we do believe that the operation did take out dangerous members of al-Qaeda."

Among those believed killed in the strike was Ahmed Farouq, who the White House said was an American who was an al-Qaeda leader. US officials have also concluded that Adam Gadahn, an American who had served as a spokesman for the terror network, was killed in a separate operation in January.

Gadahn used the name "Azzam the American" in his statements supporting al-Qaeda.

The White House said neither Farouq nor Gadahn were intentionally targeted in the strikes and the US did not have information indicating their presence at the site of the operations.

US government officials said the CIA carried out the drone strikes on 14 January and 19 January in Pakistan. The White House said the strikes happened in the border region between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The officials were not authorized to discuss details of the attacks and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The President made no mention of Farouq and Gadahn. Instead, he focused his remarks on Weinstein, who had been held by al-Qaeda since 2011, and Lo Porto, who had been held since 2012.

Obama expressed regret for the deaths of the two men and offered condolences to their families.

"I realize there are no words that can ever equal their loss," said Obama, adding that he had spoken with Weinstein's wife and Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi.

Weinstein, a 73-year-old development worker, was abducted in August 2011. His capture came four days before his seven-year stint with the US Agency for International Development was to end.

In a message released previously in English and Arabic and addressed to Weinstein's family, al-Qaeda had said it was "not interested in keeping" Weinstein but wanted to exchange him for prisoners in US custody.

Lo Porto was an Italian aid worker who worked for the German aid group Welthungerhilfe. He went missing in Pakistan in January 2012.

A spokeswoman for the aid group said the organization was shocked at the news of Lo Porto's death.

"We're shattered by today's news," Simone Pott told The Associated Press. "So much was done to try and get him released," she said, without elaborating.

Lo Porto had joined the aid group in October 2011 and was working as a project manager in Pakistan's Multan region when he was kidnapped together with German Bernd Muehlenbeck.

Muehlenbeck was freed last year under circumstances that Pott declined to comment on.

Renzi expressed his "profound pain" over Lo Porto's death, saying the aid worker had "dedicated his life to the service of others."

Associated Press

Updated Date:

Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply

also read

MLC polls: Accepted TRS offer to serve people, says PV Narasimha Rao's daughter Vani Devi
Politics

MLC polls: Accepted TRS offer to serve people, says PV Narasimha Rao's daughter Vani Devi

The former PM's daughter said that she has been 'apolitical' but there was no ground for her to say no when TRS offered her the ticket for MLC polls

Xi Jinping declares 'complete victory' in eradicating absolute poverty in China
World

Xi Jinping declares 'complete victory' in eradicating absolute poverty in China

At a gathering in Beijing, Xi claimed that over 10 million poor people were lifted out of poverty on average each year since he came to power in 2012

Biden administration vows to ensure US, not ‘authoritarian China’, will set international agenda
World

Biden administration vows to ensure US, not ‘authoritarian China’, will set international agenda

US and China are engaged in a bitter confrontation over various issues, including trade, the origins of COVID-19 and Beijing’s aggression in the South China Sea