Huge blast in China's Ningbo city kills at least two, cause unknown | Reuters

BEIJING (Reuters) - A powerful explosion in a Chinese city south of Shanghai brought down buildings in a neighbourhood marked for demolition, killing at least two people, state television reported on Sunday. Rescue workers work at the site of a blast in Ningbo, Zhejiang province, China November 26, 2017. REUTERS/Stringer The explosion struck at around 8:50 a.m.

Reuters November 26, 2017 22:07:28 IST
Huge blast in China's Ningbo city kills at least two, cause unknown | Reuters

Huge blast in Chinas Ningbo city kills at least two cause unknown  ReutersBEIJING (Reuters) - A powerful explosion in a Chinese city south of Shanghai brought down buildings in a neighbourhood marked for demolition, killing at least two people, state television reported on Sunday. Rescue workers work at the site of a blast in Ningbo, Zhejiang province, China November 26, 2017. REUTERS/Stringer The explosion struck at around 8:50 a.m. (0050 GMT) in Jiangbei district in the port city of Ningbo in Zhejiang province, China Central Television (CCTV) reported. Police said the cause of the blast was still uncertain. A “huge tremor” was felt in the vicinity when it hit, CGTN, a network operated by CCTV, wrote on Twitter. The force of the explosion destroyed the roofs of two buildings at the site of the blast, which CCTV said were already structurally unsound. It also shattered windows and punched holes in the walls of some residential and commercial properties as far as a kilometre away. Images from CCTV also showed a few flattened cars and a low-rise building with a collapsed wall. The state broadcaster said two people were killed, while 16 were slightly wounded and two were in serious condition. Rescue workers work at the site of a blast in Ningbo, Zhejiang province, China November 26, 2017. REUTERS/Stringer CCTV said the blast was not a gas explosion, as the gas pipelines beneath the ground were no longer active, citing the operator of the pipelines. According to local Zhejiang Daily, the buildings that collapsed had already been cleared of people. Police told Reuters the area had been marked for demolition. Slideshow (2 Images)The official People’s Daily posted aerial photographs of firefighters working at the site of the blast - an open area of debris and broken concrete. The newspaper said there were no residents at the site of the explosion, though there might have been rubbish collectors at work when the blast occurred. Another photograph posted by People’s Daily showed grey smoke rising over the skyline of the city of Ningbo, about 100 kilometres (62 miles) south of Shanghai. Earlier in the day, the official agency Xinhua news agency said the blast had happened at a factory. Rescue work and an investigation into the cause were under way, local police said on Weibo. Blasts and other accidents are common in China due to patchy enforcement of safety rules, although the government has pledged to improve checks to try to stamp out such incidents.

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

Greek police clash with protesters in rally against mandatory vaccinations
World

Greek police clash with protesters in rally against mandatory vaccinations

ATHENS (Reuters) - Greek police used teargas and water cannon to disperse people who had gathered in central Athens on Saturday to protest against mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations. More than 4,000 people rallied outside the Greek parliament for a third time this month to oppose mandatory inoculations for some workers, such as healthcare and nursing staff.

Two Turkish soldiers killed in attack in northern Syria
World

Two Turkish soldiers killed in attack in northern Syria

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Two Turkish soldiers were killed and two were wounded in an attack on their armoured vehicle in northern Syria, and Turkish forces immediately launched retaliatory fire, Turkey's defence ministry said on Saturday. "Our punitive fire against terrorist positions is continuing," the statement on Twitter on said. It did not specify where the attack occurred, but media reports said it was in the al-Bab area.

Brazilians take to streets again to demand Bolsonaro's impeachment
World

Brazilians take to streets again to demand Bolsonaro's impeachment

By Marcelo Rochabrun SAO PAULO (Reuters) - Protesters took to the streets in several Brazilian cities on Saturday to demand the impeachment of far-right President Jair Bolsonaro, whose popularity has fallen in recent weeks amid corruption scandals against the backdrop of the pandemic. This week, news broke that Brazil's defense ministry told congressional leadership that next year's elections would not take place without amending the country's electronic voting system to include a paper trail of each vote. Bolsonaro has suggested several times without evidence that the current system is prone to fraud, allegations that Brazil's government has denied