Hong Kong's New Year's fireworks cancelled amid security concerns

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Hong Kong’s popular New Year's Eve fireworks will be cancelled for the first time in a decade, as more than six months of protests heighten security concerns, the Hong Kong Tourism Board said on Wednesday.

Reuters December 19, 2019 00:12:54 IST
Hong Kong's New Year's fireworks cancelled amid security concerns

Hong Kongs New Years fireworks cancelled amid security concerns

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Hong Kong’s popular New Year's Eve fireworks will be cancelled for the first time in a decade, as more than six months of protests heighten security concerns, the Hong Kong Tourism Board said on Wednesday.

The fireworks usually draw thousands of locals and tourists to the picturesque Victoria Harbour and the countdown is broadcast worldwide.

Sparked by a controversial and now-withdrawn extradition bill, the ongoing protests in the former British colony have crippled the tourism and retail sectors, with several high-profile cultural and sporting events cancelled in recent months.

The fireworks will be replaced with a "Symphony of Lights”, a multimedia light show, involving projections on the city's tallest skyscrapers at the stroke of midnight, tourism officials said. The facade of the waterside Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre will be turned into a giant countdown clock.

Small-scale pyrotechnics will be released from nearby rooftops.

The tourism board "places high importance on public safety of all events it organises," it said in an emailed statement.

"In view of the current situation in Hong Kong, we have decided to adopt a new format."

The board said tourist arrivals in Hong Kong plunged 56% year-on-year in November, the steepest fall in 15 years, when the city was hit by an outbreak of the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) epidemic.

Other events to be cancelled include the Hong Kong Football Club Rugby Section's annual rugby 10s tournament, scheduled to be held in April, and Clockenflap, one of Asia’s biggest music festivals, which was scrapped last month.

Hong Kong sank into recession for the first time in a decade in the third quarter.

(Reporting by Twinnie Sie and Donny Kwok; Writing by Kate Lamb; Editing by Lincoln Feast.)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

New York, Florida tell hospitals to speed COVID-19 vaccinations or lose supply
World

New York, Florida tell hospitals to speed COVID-19 vaccinations or lose supply

By Carl O'Donnell and Jonathan Allen NEW YORK (Reuters) - The governors of New York and Florida sought to accelerate the slower-than-expected rollout of coronavirus vaccines by warning hospitals on Monday that they would reduce future allocations to those that fail to dispense shots quickly enough. In New York, hospitals must administer vaccines within a week of receiving them or face a fine and loss of future supplies, Governor Andrew Cuomo said. "I don't want the vaccine in a fridge or a freezer, I want it in somebody's arm," the governor said

UK judge rejects extraditing Assange to U.S., citing suicide risk
World

UK judge rejects extraditing Assange to U.S., citing suicide risk

By Michael Holden LONDON (Reuters) - A British judge ruled on Monday that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange should not be extradited to the United States to face criminal charges including breaking a spying law, saying his mental health problems meant he would be at risk of suicide. U.S. authorities accuse Australian-born Assange, 49, of 18 counts relating to the release by WikiLeaks of vast troves of confidential U.S

Breakthrough reached in Gulf dispute with Qatar -senior Trump official
World

Breakthrough reached in Gulf dispute with Qatar -senior Trump official

By Steve Holland and Aziz El Yaakoubi WASHINGTON/RIYADH (Reuters) -A breakthrough has been reached in Qatar's three-year-old dispute with Saudi Arabia and three other Arab countries and an agreement aimed at ending their rift is to be signed in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday, a senior Trump administration official said. The development is the latest in a series of Middle East deals sought by Washington - the others involving Israel and Arab states - aimed at building a united front against Iran. As part of the deal, Saudi Arabia will reopen its airspace and land and sea border to Qatar as of Monday, Kuwaiti Foreign Minister Ahmad Nasser al-Sabah said on Kuwait TV ahead of a Gulf Arab summit in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday.