The toll from the catastrophic fire that ripped through a Hong Kong housing estate this week rose to 146 on Sunday, making it the deadliest residential building blaze worldwide in more than four decades, authorities confirmed.
Police said the Disaster Victim Identification Unit recovered additional bodies after extending their search into three more towers at Wang Fuk Court, the sprawling eight-block complex in Hong Kong’s northern Tai Po district.
“As of 4:00 PM, the death count stands at 146. More fatalities may yet be uncovered,” Chief Superintendent Tsang Shuk-yin told reporters.
City mourns as thousands queue to pay respects
The tragedy has shaken the city. On Sunday, more than 1,000 residents waited in long queues to lay flowers, burn incense and pay tribute at the estate’s fire cordon, according to AFP.
This outpouring of grief followed similarly large crowds on Saturday, when stunned families and ordinary Hong Kongers visited the charred towers, many visibly devastated as they passed handwritten messages reading “Rest In Peace.”
Among the mourners was 39-year-old restaurant owner Vinchi Chan, who brought his young daughter to the site.
“I haven’t slept since the fire,” he said. “We feel completely helpless. The government must investigate this thoroughly.”
He added that for many Hong Kong residents—who often spend their entire lives saving for a small home in the world’s priciest property market—the fire wiped out decades of effort in hours.
Quick Reads
View AllConsulates confirmed several foreign nationals were among the dead. At least seven Indonesians died, according to the Indonesian consulate, while the Philippines said one of its overseas workers was also killed. Dozens remain hospitalised, some critically, and many residents are still unaccounted for.
Authorities have launched a multi-agency investigation into the cause of the inferno. Hong Kong’s anti-corruption watchdog has so far arrested 11 individuals, three of whom were also detained by police on manslaughter charges.
Still, residents say accountability must reach further.
The Buildings Department has ordered work to stop on 30 private construction sites across the city as a precaution while investigations continue.
)