Harry, Meghan didn't wed before Windsor service, confirms the archbishop of Canterbury

Justin Welby said the couple were legally married at the castle on 19 May 2018 but would not disclose what occurred at private meetings before that.

The Associated Press April 02, 2021 17:19:13 IST
Harry, Meghan didn't wed before Windsor service, confirms the archbishop of Canterbury

In this 19 May 2018 file photo, Britain's Prince Harry pulls back the veil of Meghan Markle watched by Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby during their wedding at St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle in Windsor, near London, England. (Owen Humphreys/pool photo via AP, File)

London: The archbishop of Canterbury has confirmed that he legally married Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at Windsor Castle in May 2018, despite the couple’s claim that they had another, private, ceremony three days earlier.

During an interview with Oprah Winfrey earlier this month, Meghan said that “three days before our wedding we got married.”

“We called the archbishop and we just said, look, this thing, this spectacle is for the world, but we want our union between us,” she said. “So the vows that we have framed in our room are just the two of us in our backyard with the archbishop of Canterbury.”

Justin Welby said the couple were legally married at the castle on 19 May 2018 but would not disclose what occurred at private meetings before that.

“I signed the wedding certificate, which is a legal document, and I would have committed a serious criminal offence if I signed it knowing it was false,” said Welby, who is head of the church of England.

Welby told Italian newspaper La Repubblica that “I won’t say what happened at any other meetings.” He said he’d had “a number of private and pastoral meetings with the duke and duchess before the wedding.”

In the interview with Winfrey, Meghan claimed that she had experienced racism and callous treatment from the royal household and the press during her time as a working member of the royal family.

In early 2020, Meghan and Harry announced they were quitting royal duties and moving to North America, citing what they said were the unbearable intrusions and racist attitudes of the British media.

Updated Date:

also read

Prince Philip’s ‘fortitude and faith’ to be remembered at Windsor funeral
World

Prince Philip’s ‘fortitude and faith’ to be remembered at Windsor funeral

To deter crowds from gathering during the pandemic, the entire procession and funeral will take place within the grounds of the castle.

Prince Philip's funeral on 17 April; gun salutes mark start of eight-day national mourning in UK
World

Prince Philip's funeral on 17 April; gun salutes mark start of eight-day national mourning in UK

Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, will be flying in from the US to attend the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral, but his pregnant wife, Meghan Duchess of Sussex, has been advised by her doctor not to travel, the palace said

Coverage of Prince Philip's death becomes BBC's most-complained about TV programming
Arts & Culture

Coverage of Prince Philip's death becomes BBC's most-complained about TV programming

The BBC said in a statement on 15 April that Philip’s death was a “significant event which generated a lot of interest both nationally and internationally,” but acknowledged that some thought the rolling coverage was excessive.