Haiti jailbreak: Prison director and gang leader among 25 killed, 400 inmates escape

The breakout at Croix-des-Bouquets prison was believed to be an attempt to free gang leader Arnel Joseph, who had been Haiti's most wanted fugitive until his 2019 arrest

The Associated Press February 27, 2021 09:23:09 IST
Haiti jailbreak: Prison director and gang leader among 25 killed, 400 inmates escape

Authorities say Joseph, who they describe as one of Haiti's most powerful gang leaders, was shot Friday, a day after he and dozens of other inmates escaped from prison. AP

Port-au-Prince (Haiti): Haitian authorities announced Friday that more than 400 inmates escaped and 25 people died in a prison breakout, making it the country's largest and deadliest one in a decade, with the prison director and a powerful gang leader among those killed.

Some believe Thursday's jailbreak at the Croix-des-Bouquets Civil Prison in northeast Port-au-Prince was to free gang leader Arnel Joseph, who had been Haiti's most wanted fugitive until his 2019 arrest on charges including rape, kidnapping and murder.

Joseph was riding on a motorcycle through the Artibonite area in the town of L'Estère on Friday a day after his escape when he was spotted at a checkpoint, police spokesman Gary Desrosiers told The Associated Press. He said Joseph pulled out a gun and died in an exchange of gunfire with police.

Joseph ruled Village de Dieu, or Village of God, a shantytown in downtown Port-au-Prince, and other communities, including some in Artibonite, which is Haiti's largest department.

Authorities have not yet provided much details on the breakout except to say that 60 inmates have been recaptured and the investigation is ongoing. State Secretary Frantz Exantus said authorities have created several commissions to investigate who organised the breakout and why. Among those killed was the prison director, identified as Paul Joseph Hector.

Residents who declined to be identified because they feared for their life told the AP that they saw gunmen shoot at prison guards on Thursday before inmates escaped from the Croix-des-Bouquets penitentiary.

The prison is known for a 2014 breakout in which more than 300 of the 899 inmates being held there at the time escaped. Some believed that attack was designed to free Clifford Brandt, the son of a prominent businessman, who had been imprisoned since 2012 for allegedly kidnapping the adult children of a rival businessman. Brandt was captured two days later near the Dominican Republic border.

After the 2014 breakout, officials said they were taking steps to up security at the prison that Canada built in 2012, including installing security cameras and placing ankle monitors on the most dangerous prisoners. It wasn't immediately clear if any of those measures were taken. At the time of Thursday's breakout, the prison held 1,542 inmates, nearly twice its capacity.

Haiti's largest prison breakout in recent history occurred after the devastating 2010 earthquake in which more than 4,200 inmates fled the notorious National Penitentiary in downtown Port-au-Prince.

President Jovenel Moïse tweeted on Friday that he condemned the most recent jailbreak and asked people to remain calm. He added that Haiti's National Police "is instructed to take all measures to bring the situation under control."

Meanwhile, Helen La Lime, Haiti's special representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, said in a statement that she was deeply concerned with the mutiny and prison escape.

"I encourage the police to speed up investigations on the circumstances surrounding this incident, redouble its efforts to re-apprehend the escapees, and strengthen security around prisons throughout the country," she said. "This prison break further highlights the problem of prolonged preventive detention and prison overcrowding which remains matter of concern that must be urgently addressed by Haitian authorities."

Updated Date:

also read

Haiti cancels last day of Carnival after 16 die in float accident
World

Haiti cancels last day of Carnival after 16 die in float accident

At least 16 people were killed early Tuesday in the Haitian capital after a man on top of a musical group’s Carnival float was shocked by high-voltage wires above the street, setting off a panic in which dozens of people were trampled, officials said.

Haiti: 40 people missing as migrant vessel sinks off northern coast, rescue operations on
World

Haiti: 40 people missing as migrant vessel sinks off northern coast, rescue operations on

About 40 people are missing after a migrant vessel sunk the northern coast of Haiti, the civil emergency authorities have said.

Dozens protest outside US embassy in Haiti's Port-au-Prince over Donald Trump 'shithole' comment
World

Dozens protest outside US embassy in Haiti's Port-au-Prince over Donald Trump 'shithole' comment

Several dozen Haitians protested outside the US embassy in Port-au-Prince, recalling their country's heritage after Donald Trump reportedly called Haiti a "shithole."