Hafiz Saeed detention case: Lahore High Court defers verdict till 3 July
Mumbai terror attack mastermind chief Hafiz Saeed will have to celebrate Eid in custody as Pakistan's Lahore High Court on Monday deferred its verdict till 3 July
Lahore: Mumbai terror attack mastermind and Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed and his four aides will have to celebrate Eid in custody as Pakistan's Lahore High Court on Monday deferred its verdict till 3 July in their detention case.
"As a division bench headed by Justice Abdul Sami Khan on Monday held the court to announce the verdict a government law officer requested it (bench) to defer it as the deputy attorney general was not present in the court," a court official told reporters outside the courtroom.
Accepting the government’s request, the bench deferred the announcement of its verdict in Saeed’s house arrest case till 3 July, the official said.
The court official gave no further reason for deferring the announcement. "The bench will again sit on 3 July and announce the verdict in Saeed’s case," he added.
The court had reserved the decision on 7 June after the Punjab government law officer submitted a reply and Saeed's counsel advocate AK Dogar completed his arguments.
The court had declared that it would announce the verdict in Saeed’s detention case on 19 June.
Saeed and his four close aides Abdullah Ubaid, Malik Zafar Iqbal, Abdul Rehman Abid and Qazi Kashif Hussain have been detained on the instruction of the federal government for their alleged involvement in activities prejudicial to peace and security of the country, says the Punjab government.
The government had also submitted the report of the judicial review board on the detention of Saeed and his aides.
In his arguments, Dogar said the government did not produce the petitioners before the judicial review board prior to the expiry of their detention period (30 April) and extended their detention on its own.
He said extending detention period without the mandatory approval of the review board is "illegal".
Dogar said the government detained the petitioners to "please India and America only".
He said the courts of the country in past had declared detention of the JuD chief illegal as the government failed to prove its charges against him. He prayed to the court to set aside the detention of the petitioners for being unconstitutional.
Earlier, the three-member review board headed by Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan of the Supreme Court had reserved its verdict on the detention of Saeed.
Saeed last month had appeared before the review board and told it that he had been detained by the Pakistani government in order to "stop him from raising voice for Kashmiris".
The federal interior ministry rejected his arguments and told the board that "Saeed and his four aides have been detained for spreading terrorism in the name of Jihad".
On 30 April, detention of Saeed and his four aides was extended by the Punjab government for another 90 days under preventative detention under 11 EEE (I) and 11D of Anti-Terrorism Act 1997.
The Punjab government on 30 January had put these five under house arrest in Lahore under the Second Schedule of Anti-Terrorism Act 1997.
This comes after army officials revealed that the new modus operandi to indoctrinate and train Kashmiri youth in militancy was to call them through proper visa channels, rather than having them take the risk of crossing the border illegally.
Seven persons were dead and 17 others injured after Honzar village in Dacchan tehsil was hit by flash floods triggered by the cloudburst in the early hours of 28 July, that damaged 21 houses, 21 cowsheds, a ration depot, a bridge and a mosque.
Security forces on Saturday killed two Jiash-e-Mohammed militants, including a top Pakistani ultra belonging to the family of the group's chief Masood Azhar and involved in the planning of the 2019 Pulwama attack