Gaza’s Islamic Jihad group announces ceasefire with Israel, brings to an end two days of heavy fighting that killed 32 Palestinians
Al-Berim said the cease-fire was based on a list of demands presented by his group late on Wednesday, the fighting broke out early on Tuesday after Israel killed a senior commander of the militant group.
Gaza's militant Islamic Jihad group announced cease-fire with Israel, ending two days of heavy fighting that left at least 32 Palestinians dead
Al-Berim said the cease-fire was based on a list of demands presented by his group late on Wednesday
The fighting broke out early on Tuesday after Israel killed a senior commander of the militant group
Gaza City: Gaza’s militant Islamic Jihad group announced a cease-fire with Israel early on Thursday, ending two days of heavy fighting that left at least 32 Palestinians dead.
Spokesman Musab al-Berim said that the Egyptian-brokered deal went into effect at 5.30 am. But there was no immediate confirmation from Israel, and shortly after his announcement, two rockets were fired, setting off air-raid sirens in southern Israel.
Al-Berim said the cease-fire was based on a list of demands presented by his group late on Wednesday, including a halt to Israeli targeted killings of the group’s leaders. The fighting broke out early on Tuesday after Israel killed a senior commander of the militant group.
The rare targeted killing by Israel sparked the heaviest fighting with Gaza militants since May. Islamic Jihad fired some 400 rockets toward Israel, while Israel responded with scores of airstrikes. However, Gaza’s ruling Hamas militant group, which is much larger and more powerful than Islamic Jihad, stayed out of the fighting, indicating it would be brief.
Palestinian officials reported 32 deaths, including a 7-year-old boy and six members of a single-family. The rocket fire crippled life across southern Israel, as nonstop air-raid sirens cancelled schools and forced people to remain indoors. Much of Gaza resembled a ghost-town, with almost no vehicles on the roads except for ambulances evacuating wounded.
Israeli media, citing the military’s Home Front Command, said safety restrictions remained in effect early Thursday. But in Gaza, cars could be heard back on the streets as the territory appeared to be springing back to life. Israeli military drones could still be heard buzzing overhead.
Late on Wednesday, Islamic Jihad’s leader, Ziad al-Nakhalah, announced three conditions for an end to the fighting, an end to targeted killings, a halt in Israeli shootings of protesters at weekly demonstrations along the Israeli border and easing a 12-year-old Israeli blockade that has devastated Gaza’s economy.
Israel imposed the blockade after Hamas violently seized control of Gaza in 2007 from the internationally-backed Palestinian Authority. Israel considers Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which both seek its destruction, to be terrorist groups.
Israel rarely acknowledges deals with Gaza militant groups, and shortly after al-Berim’s announcement, two rockets were fired out of Gaza, setting off sirens in southern Israel. It was not clear who fired the rockets or whether the launches were intentional or misfires caused by electronic timers. Several militant groups in Gaza possess the weapons.
But UN and Islamic Jihad officials were in touch on Wednesday with Egyptian mediators, who typically broker deals to end fighting in Gaza and Israel did not respond to the rocket launch.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
On Tuesday, the health ministry confirmed that Saudi Arabia had been added to the safe list a day earlier, but dismissed any link to Netanyahu's reported visit to city of Neom on Sunday
Israeli public broadcaster Kan and other media said Netanyahu and Mossad spy agency chief Yosef Meir Cohen had met the de facto Saudi ruler, together with US secretary of state Mike Pompeo, in the Red Sea city of Neom on Sunday
Premier League: Liverpool players ‘incredibly disciplined’ on COVID-19, says Jurgen Klopp despite Mo Salah’s positive test
Klopp confirmed Liverpool's top scorer this season is asymptomatic and could return to England on Friday, but Salah will miss Sunday's Premier League clash against Leicester.