French court to review dismissal of rape case against minister
PARIS (Reuters) - An appeal court must look again at whether a judge's decision to dismiss an investigation into rape allegations against France's budget minister was valid, a court ruled on Thursday. The investigation into the allegations against Gerald Darmanin, who is a close political ally of President Emmanuel Macron and denies rape, was dropped in August 2018 when prosecutors said they could not establish 'absence of consent'. Darmanin has described the allegations as slander.
PARIS (Reuters) - An appeal court must look again at whether a judge's decision to dismiss an investigation into rape allegations against France's budget minister was valid, a court ruled on Thursday.
The investigation into the allegations against Gerald Darmanin, who is a close political ally of President Emmanuel Macron and denies rape, was dropped in August 2018 when prosecutors said they could not establish "absence of consent".
Darmanin has described the allegations as slander. He could not immediately be reached for comment on Thursday.
A re-opening of the investigation could harm Darmanin's ambitions to stand next year in municipal elections which will be important for Macron if he is to anchor his fledgling LaRepublique en Marche party at the local level.
The woman accused Darmanin of coercing her into having sex in 2009 when she sought his help in having her criminal record cleared. She appealed against last year's decision but the Paris Court of Appeal had said she did so too late.
On Thursday, the Cour de Cassation, which does not judge facts but only whether a decision by an appeal court conforms to law, told the Court of Appeal to review the judge's initial ruling again.
The rape allegation came at a time of heightened demand for action against predatory sexual behaviour or abuse of power for sexual favours following the sex scandal surrounding U.S. movie mogul Harvey Weinstein.
(Reporting by Dominique Vidalon; editing by Richard Lough and Timothy Heritage)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.